Sign in to follow this  
Dan_the_fisher

Water coming out of drain above lower motor mount

Mercury 225 efi, I was trying to figure out why the water pressure gauge is not working, water isn't squirting out of the line that comes out of the lower unit that goes to water pressure guage. But it has good water coming out of the motor drain. It is steadily coming out of the drain above the motor mount as well which has me puzzled 

image.jpeg

Did it work at one point? I'm sure Way2Slow would know for sure but any water pressure line I've seen went to the block of your engine usually (sometimes on the head) near the top cylinders into a brass fitting. The lines that come off the lower unit are generally for the useless speedometer. 

First off, I'm not much on Mercs so can't give you a lot of info, but make sure you are using the water pressure line and not the speed ohmmeter line.   If the line is exposed and coming up from somewhere in the lower unit, that's the speed ohmmeter and will only have pressure when running down the lake.   The water pressure line is usually going to be in the main harness  with all the wiring and fuel line

Disconnect the line from the gauge, start the motor, give it a several seconds to fill the block and see if you have water coming out of the line then.  Normally what happens to the water pressure, if you live where it gets cold, the water freezes in the gauge does bad things.

Sorry I forgot to update last night, I found out I was barking up the wrong tree yesterday and was indeed looking at the speedo tubing. I'm pretty sure I found the water pressure line at the back of the motor near the drain hole. I didn't get a chance to restart it to see why it is draining down at the motor mount tho 

You will probably find several places that look like little leaks.  Manufactures put small holes in cavities that might hold water so they will drain when you shut it off.  Most of these are inside the exhaust so you don't see them, but sometimes they will have a couple outside the motor.   If they didn't do this, those pockets could freeze during the winter and crack the housings.