BassinCali

Gary yamamoto Single tail grub 4 inch question

I have never thrown a grub on a fly rod, though, if weightless and on a 7-8 weight it might be doable.  I would NOT try casting 1/8-1/4oz jig on a fly rod because I would render myself unconscious and keeping a loop would be a nightmare.  I typically fish them on a medium fast or medium light XF spinning Rod. 

• Like 1

They're the grub of choice for scrubbing a grub on a jighead.

• Like 1

I dont think there's a better way to present a grub than on a jighead., The options available with this lure is almost endless and they all will work when timed right, you can hop it, fish it like a worm, swim it, burn it under the surface, suspend it over deep water, stitch it, noodle it, whatever you like.

As for fly fishing a grub? I dont see why you couldnt, but i believe that if you are to put forth the effort to use a flyrod, use a fly.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BassinCali said:

Has anyone ever fly lined these or use a weighted jig head hook.

A grub might not be the best candidate for a fly-lined presentation as they are so deadly on a jig head or T-rigged. To each their own though...

• Like 1

Fly line means no added weight just the hook, common term when fly lining live bait, no apology needed.

Using a single tail grub like GYCB 4" on a plain 1/8-1/4 ball or dart head jig is a good lure for fall bass feeding on Shad.

Tom

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WRB said:

Fly line means no added weight just the hook, common term when fly lining live bait, no apology needed.

Using a single tail grub like GYCB 4" on a plain 1/8-1/4 ball or dart head jig is a good lure for fall bass feeding on Shad.

Tom

what size of hook  would you recommend, and I just want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

11 hours ago, BassinCali said:

what size of hook  would you recommend, and I just want to thank everyone for their recommendations.

I like Gamakatsu dart heads with 2/0 & 3/0 hook for grubs.

Tom

• Like 1