Sign in to follow this  
FryDog62

Help me with winter destination

I live in Minnesota and my wife and I are looking to spend a month (Feb or March) down South this year.  I don't golf and would like to freshwater fish for bass.  We've thought of Naples, FL (on an inland lake) or Arizona (Lake Havasu) - anywhere else we should consider ??  Want to stay U.S. 

Southeast South Florida has spectacular freshwater fishing for largemouth bass and gives you the opportunity to catch peacock bass.

Ok, sounds good.  I should clarify if you can mention a specific town, destination, etc..  And know that my wife is awesome but wants something "she-she-foo-foo" like Naples or Scottsdale - and while she's looking for nice restaurants, I'm scouting out the nearest Bass Pro Shops and freshwater lakes, ponds, etc...

37 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

I live in Minnesota and my wife and I are looking to spend a month (Feb or March) down South this year.  I don't golf and would like to freshwater fish for bass.  We've thought of Naples, FL (on an inland lake) or Arizona (Lake Havasu) - anywhere else we should consider ??  Want to stay U.S. 

Don't go near Havasu during spring break. Trust me, I've seen the videos.:jaw-drop:

2017 BassResource Road Trip 3/15-3/20

Jack Yate's Classic on Toledo Bend Reservoir

Y'all come down & fish the spawn on the #1 bass fishing lake in America!

• Like 1

Orlando and/or Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale areas give you access to great lgemouth fishing and all kinds of "foo foo" shenanigans.

Ft Myers is right at an hour from lake Okeechobee. Probably the best bass fishing in the US.

I hear Lake Toho is good too, a bit farther from Ft. Myers but do-able..

Are you going to fish from a boat or land?

Most likely from a boat, depending on where we end up.  May even use a guide...  

5 minutes ago, FryDog62 said:

Come spend 5 days with us on Toledo Bend, learn the area, & then spend the rest of your time fishing that area. I very sure you'll have periodic company!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FryDog62 said:

Ok, sounds good.  I should clarify if you can mention a specific town, destination, etc..  And know that my wife is awesome but wants something "she-she-foo-foo" like Naples or Scottsdale - and while she's looking for nice restaurants, I'm scouting out the nearest Bass Pro Shops and freshwater lakes, ponds, etc...

Lake Havasu is on the Colorado River and over 200 miles from Scottsdale AZ. Lakes on the Salt River chain like Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt and Lake Pleasant near Glendale-Sadona area are closer to Scottsdale.

Near San Diego there are several good bass lakes with San Vicente reopening this fall should a very good with rental boats available. 

There Is always the wine country north of San Francisco with Lakes Berryessa, Clear lake and San Jaquine Delta. Few thing to see and in San Francisco and Napa-Sanoma areas.

Good luck with where ever destination you choose, for bass fishing Toledo Bend would be hard to beat. For good restruants San Francisco and Napa valley are world class, the bass fish isn't #1, but very good, #3, 5  & 7 not too shabby.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FryDog62 said:

Here's a couple places you can try for bass fishing in South Florida;

Lake Okeechobee

Lake Ida

Lake Osborne

Blue Lagoon Lakes

Tamiami Trail Canal

Alligator Alley Canal

You can also try Saltwater fishing down here and have a shot at catching one of the many big saltwater gamefish we have.

• Like 1

stay anywhere with an hour of fort meyers

don't overlook catching snook from the beach

nothing like a two foot snook on a fly rod

• Like 1

If I had the means to stay a month on any lake it would be stick Marsh,  toho, or the big o down in Florida,  guntersville in Alabama,  Toledo bend,  lake fork,  falcon lake or amistad in Texas, or somewhere in Cali,  but it's too crowded there so most likely one of the others.  I'd spend the whole month throwing swimbaits and magnum cranks and hopefully finally catch a 10lb largemouth

• Like 1

Hemphill Texas located midway of Toledo Bend Reservoir; voted the #1 Bass Fishing lake in America two years in a row, recorded more double digit bass than any lake in America two years in a row.

Within easy driving distance of Lake Sam Rayburn, Lake Conroe, Bob Sandlin, Livingston, & Lake Fork.

• Like 2