Jump to content
clayton86

Pedal drive kayaks

Recommended Posts

What's everyone's thoughts on all the new offerings of pedal drive kayaks? Just about every manufacture is offering one. Anything you guys like or dislike about some of the new drive systems? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First person that types "peddle" gets a week's suspension, lmao.

I don't have a problem with them, but it's not for me.  I have enough stuff to get tangled on.  Plus it reminds of those stupid paddle boats everyone had in the 90s that just churned up water, and got in the way.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're actually pretty cool.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pedal drive trend is an interesting one. The market demand for pedal propulsion must be there. There are a couple of places I fish where "hands free propulsion" would be an asset but most of the time anything below the kayak is just going to get me hung up (weeds, laydowns, river ledge rock). I surveyed all of the kayak offerings on the horizon and decided on a Tarpon 130x. I wanted a kayak that paddles really well. Was looking for more speed over my Ride 115 and a kayak that attains up river better. The Radar from Wilderness Systems does look interesting as it has the pedal option but supposedly is a kayak that still paddles well.

T130X.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice rig, Turtle!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking at the Pescador Pilot for my next yak. I will say that the $1799 price tag is one of the main reasons, but watching all the youtube videos on it I dont think I am going to be missing anything the more expensive options have. I just sold my current kayak last week to buy the Pilot when it comes out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bholtzinger14 said:

I am looking at the Pescador Pilot for my next yak. I will say that the $1799 price tag is one of the main reasons, but watching all the youtube videos on it I dont think I am going to be missing anything the more expensive options have. I just sold my current kayak last week to buy the Pilot when it comes out.  

Perceptions are usually based off retired WS hulls, so you're looking at a solid boat, at a good price.  What boat are you coming from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J Francho said:

Perceptions are usually based off retired WS hulls, so you're looking at a solid boat, at a good price.  What boat are you coming from?

The Pescador Pro 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few videos from the new pedal drives offered by various manufacturers...

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or if anyone is so inclined there's the H2Pro-Ped.

I came across this a couple years back when looking
for some DIY ideas ... went with my own electric motor
setup.

http://h2proped.com/

home-image-h2pro-ped.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw that before.  Pretty cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darren. said:

Or if anyone is so inclined there's the H2Pro-Ped.

I came across this a couple years back when looking
for some DIY ideas ... went with my own electric motor
setup.

http://h2proped.com/

home-image-h2pro-ped.jpg

That one is new to me...

I like pedal drive boats but i am perfectly content with my ATAK.  There are a few lakes where having the pedal drive to cover long distances would be nice but not enough to warrant the price tag or upgrading my boat.  My next boat will be a more river specific boat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flyfisher said:

That one is new to me...

I like pedal drive boats but i am perfectly content with my ATAK.  There are a few lakes where having the pedal drive to cover long distances would be nice but not enough to warrant the price tag or upgrading my boat.  My next boat will be a more river specific boat.

That's kinda where I'm at my ATAK is more then enough and in many cases way to much especially in the small rivers I fish. However I fish a few of the bigger lakes around here and the Great Lakes so I want to upgrade to the radar 135 and then the ATAK 120 for my river boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the ATAK 120 as a good river boat myself but i haven't paddled it.  Not maneuverable enough for me.  I want to get another coosa at some point for my river jaunts or maybe a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Glenn said:

Here's a few videos from the new pedal drives offered by various manufacturers...

 

 

 

Wow, I did not know Hobie intro'd REVERSE!

That is awesome!! Wonder if this requires a new form for the
drive to fit into, or if it is compatible with today's models?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the concept  but most of them are $2500 plus, kind of pricey for a plastic boat. And they weigh over 100 lbs so they can be difficult to load and unload for one person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kjfishman said:

I like the concept  but most of them are $2500 plus, kind of pricey for a plastic boat. And they weigh over 100 lbs so they can be difficult to load and unload for one person.

Agreed, weighty for sure.

With a truck, loading/unloading is easier for me
at this time...however, $$$, is not anywhere near
a new kayak any time soon. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to a Jackson kayak rep who was showing me a pedal adaptor for a kayak. I saw how easily I could adapt the device for mounting on my personal pontoon. Then I asked the price....$995!  For that price, I could get a very nice electric motor that I wouldn't have to pedal! That H2 Pro-Ped shown above was what, $775 plus $100 for shipping. Way too rich for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scott F said:

I was talking to a Jackson kayak rep who was showing me a pedal adaptor for a kayak. I saw how easily I could adapt the device for mounting on my personal pontoon. Then I asked the price....$995!  For that price, I could get a very nice electric motor that I wouldn't have to pedal! That H2 Pro-Ped shown above was what, $775 plus $100 for shipping. Way too rich for me.

No doubt! This is one of the reasons I went with a 
DIY trolling motor setup. And I LOVE it. Beats paddling
or pedaling any day, IMO :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peddling pricey pedal propulsion proves perplexing!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J Francho said:

Peddling pricey pedal propulsion proves perplexing!

J "Dr. Seuss" Francho pens proverbic post piling P's proving pricey pedals perplex phishermen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the time I'm fishing in my kayak I'm purposely trying to get places other boats can't go - including a kayak with fins underneath it. I would hit the bottom pretty often with one. Besides, I don't fish anywhere big enough to need a propulsion system. If I were on bigger waters I could see the benefit though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've always seen them as pricey, but nice if you have the money.  one day a buddy and i were getting killed by the wind, but we were determined to stay and fish.  i probably paddled 20 strokes for every 1 cast.  after a while a guy comes through in a Hobie pro angler and is just fishing, fishing, fishing with no problems.  couple kicks and he stays right in place whereas my buddy and i were getting man handled by the wind.  on that day, i realized just how valuable something like that can be.

i myself have mine fitted to work with a trolling motor too, mostly hands free since it's steering with the foot rests.  however, the weight of the battery sucks.  i think the weight reduction of the pedal drive is pretty good vs the battery.  not to mention, it's a cardio type workout vs the electric motor!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, buzzed bait said:

i myself have mine fitted to work with a trolling motor too, mostly hands free since it's steering with the foot rests.  however, the weight of the battery sucks.  i think the weight reduction of the pedal drive is pretty good vs the battery.  not to mention, it's a cardio type workout vs the electric motor!

Not sure your needs in terms of distance with your TM, but
I switched from an 85AH battery to a sealed AGM wheelchair
battery from Batteries Plus. Weighs far less than the former, 
and I've never run out despite it being a 35AH batt.

Model is a Werker WKDC12-35J

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×