RichD913

Keeping A Log

So I want to start logging my experiences out on the water so I can see what worked when and vice versa with all different variables temp, skies, wind, lure etc. Can anyone share ideas or "formats" you've done for logging your trips? Or maybe there is a pre made log out there for purchase that is "the best". Thanks in advance. 

A lot of people on here do it, and i've thought about it, but I end up not keeping logs.

Why? Because honestly, I'm not going to look at my last year's log and think "hm, fishing was no good this time of year last year, guess I won't go fishing!" I'm gonna go fish anyways ;)

That's my reasoning. I know there's a lot more to it than just that, I'm just sharing my experience.

there are some guys on here who have a format and im sure they will share it, I just use a paper log.

@j bab I get what your saying but the one and really only reason I keep a log is to help try and track the bass though the different seasons and though the years. it hasn't paid off yet but I just got started last year so time will tell.

10 minutes ago, j bab said:

A lot of people on here do it, and i've thought about it, but I end up not keeping logs.

Why? Because honestly, I'm not going to look at my last year's log and think "hm, fishing was no good this time of year last year, guess I won't go fishing!" I'm gonna go fish anyways ;)

That's my reasoning. I know there's a lot more to it than just that, I'm just sharing my experience.

I see your logic but imagine being able to say "hm, last year I kept fishing at this depth with this lure" this year I better do something different. We're creatures of habit and like staying in our comfort zone and most of the time don't realize it. Being able to see it in black and white would help a lot!

Here is the BR log that is posted in the "Tools" section of the board.

This is a pretty extensive log sheet - you may, or may not, want to capture this much data but it DOES provide an example that one can tailor to their own needs...

I use Microsoft OneNote (it's free) on my computer, it also has a phone app that is synced to your computer so it can be used on the water if needed.  I don't enter every trip or every detail...I use it more for tournament prep.  I have a page for every tournament where I put notes/plans/etc and then I put in my results after the the event.  I can go back and look at the conditions and results from previous tournaments to prepare for the next one.  I also keep pages for things like dam/lock phone numbers, water level gauges, tide charts, etc...Anything that might be useful.  

Mine aren't really a true log, but you could certainly use it that way if you wanted.  

Example from an event this year...

Capture.JPG

I have been keeping a log for the past 12 years.  I use to hand write everything down now I use an Excel spreadsheet. I record every trip whether I caught fish or not.  It gives me somewhere to start before I hit the water. 

I recently stopped keeping a log, mainly because I've been trying to simplify things. That, plus I like the challenge of trying to figure out what it takes on any particular day, to catch fish.  That, plus the fact that I found myself relying too much on the info in my logs. Not because the info didn't help, it did.  That is one of the main reasons I suggest keeping a log to anyone that is serious about becoming a better angler.  At the end of the season, you also have documentation of how well you progressed throughout the season, conditions that you had difficulty addressing and, like myself, find that your confidence bait was #3 when it came down to numbers or size of fish caught with it.

I use my fishing reports as a log.  I include complete weather conditions, baits used, what worked and what didn't, area fished, water temps and current, moon phase, time of day, date.  I can go back years if I want too,  It works for me, but I'm not paranoid about who reads it.  If I was fishing for money I would probably have a different opinion.:idea::idea2: