Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PatrickKnight

Help with a new rod

Recommended Posts

So after really deciding to go hard and heavy after river smallies I find myself looking for a new rod. Currently I am using a Fenwick HMG 6'9" ML but I am wanting to upgrade to something in the 200 dollar range. 99% of my fishing is done with jigs tipped with some kind of plastic. I use 10 lb braid with or without a leader. I find myself losing about 45% of the fish I hook so I am thinking of maybe going to a slightly slower action rod so it will have some give since the braid doesn't. I am looking strongly at the Megabass Levante 7 foot shakey head rod and the Shimano Zodias 7 foot medium power rod. I would prefer to try to find something closer to the 7'6" range but I cant seem to find a mod fast rod in that size range. Reel for this rod is a Shimano FK 3000. Do you guys have any suggestions I might look at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a hard look at the Abu Garcia IKE 70-5 Signature power rod. Super versatile with great hook setting power. 

I've boated a lot of bass with this rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were looking for a rod to cover your needs I would look at two different options. option 1 would be a Dobyns Sierra SA702 SF or SA 703SF.  My preference ( and I have had both in my hands) would be the 703, but you might prefer the 702.

My other suggestion would be a ST Croix AXS70MLF. I realize this does not seem to match your "mod" designator. All three would do what you want. If you can put them in your hands I think you will be happy with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St croix 76 medium light fast. I believe they make it in a number of models

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fishin' Fool said:

What about the Fenwick World Class on sale for $200 on TW? I'd suggest the 7'2" medium.

I have seriously thought about these but the extra fast tip is turning me off a bit. Its is really hard to say no at that price though.

9 hours ago, WPCfishing said:

Take a hard look at the Abu Garcia IKE 70-5 Signature power rod. Super versatile with great hook setting power. 

I've boated a lot of bass with this rod. 

Never looked at this line before but I will.

9 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

If I were looking for a rod to cover your needs I would look at two different options. option 1 would be a Dobyns Sierra SA702 SF or SA 703SF.  My preference ( and I have had both in my hands) would be the 703, but you might prefer the 702.

My other suggestion would be a ST Croix AXS70MLF. I realize this does not seem to match your "mod" designator. All three would do what you want. If you can put them in your hands I think you will be happy with them

How does the Sierra compare to the Champion line? I have tossed around the idea of going with an Avid but (I may very well be wrong here) they have been to standard at the 200 dollar price point for a while now and I thought some of the newer rods on the market would offer more at that price point.

9 hours ago, EvanT123 said:

St croix 76 medium light fast. I believe they make it in a number of models

The only 7'6" I can seem to find are all extra fast actions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing you are using spinning rods? If that is the case the slower action is going to make your problem worse, even with straight braid. What size jigs are you using? I'm going out on a limb as I don't know what size and type jig you are using but if they are over 1/4oz I'm being that even with braid the rod you are using does not have enough backbone to get good hook penetration. Spinning rods are more forgiving than casting rods, most fast action spinning rods in ML or M power have enough forgiveness to fish crankbaits on so what would help you do better is a MH spinning rod with a fast action, the added backbone will drive the hook fully through most of the time and it still has more forgiveness than a casting rod. You thought would be correct if you were using casting with 30lb or heavier braid but with 10lb braid and a ML or even a M spinning rod, you just aren't always getting the full hook through. This is all speculation as maybe you are using smaller jigs or casting rods but just from the info you gave it sure sounds like you are using to light of tackle for the size jigs you are using.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer your questions I am talking spinning gear and as far as jig size 1/4 oz would be the heavies I throw normally is 1/16th or 1/8th oz. As far as hook size they are all either 2/0 or 3/0 hooks with fairly long shanks. I also should be clear when I say jigs I mean jig heads or hair jigs not a typical bass jig with a plastic skirt.

I honestly never thought it might have been lack of penetration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sierra series is one step below the Champion series in the Dobyns rods. The Sierra cost $169 and the same action in a Champion is $249. The rods like any rod in any series will handle about the same, so as you go up in their lines the quality and performance of the graphite and components increase.  I have handled some Fury, Savy and the new one the Sierra and like each one. There are a few rods that only exist in one or two of the lines so sometimes you have to choose that line of rods.  I recommend you find a dealer and get them in your hand. Another option is to call out there and ask one of the customer service people they are very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:fishing-026:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PatrickKnight said:

To answer your questions I am talking spinning gear and as far as jig size 1/4 oz would be the heavies I throw normally is 1/16th or 1/8th oz. As far as hook size they are all either 2/0 or 3/0 hooks with fairly long shanks. I also should be clear when I say jigs I mean jig heads or hair jigs not a typical bass jig with a plastic skirt.

I honestly never thought it might have been lack of penetration!

Now you are talking my language!!!! I make my own jigs, and the most popular with my friends are the finesse jigs and hair jigs and what I use for tackle depends on the hooks I'm using in them. For light wire hooks in a size 4 up to a 1/0, I use a St. Croix Avid X 7' ML-F, before that it was a G.Loomis SJR 782 IMX which is a M-F which was a little overpowering but since I use mono it worked fine. Now for hooks like a Owner 5313 which is a 1X strong in smaller sizes or any hook over a 1/0, I use a Fenwick 6'9" M-XF, the extra fast action gives me more backbone without having to move up to a MH. For your situation I'd look at a medium power rod with a fast action, and trust me, a fast action spinning in a medium power will have more then enough forgiveness in it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with smalljaw.  You were probably losing fish because you weren't getting the hook set.  I'd go with a fast or xf medium power rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, smalljaw67 said:

Now you are talking my language!!!! I make my own jigs, and the most popular with my friends are the finesse jigs and hair jigs and what I use for tackle depends on the hooks I'm using in them. For light wire hooks in a size 4 up to a 1/0, I use a St. Croix Avid X 7' ML-F, before that it was a G.Loomis SJR 782 IMX which is a M-F which was a little overpowering but since I use mono it worked fine. Now for hooks like a Owner 5313 which is a 1X strong in smaller sizes or any hook over a 1/0, I use a Fenwick 6'9" M-XF, the extra fast action gives me more backbone without having to move up to a MH. For your situation I'd look at a medium power rod with a fast action, and trust me, a fast action spinning in a medium power will have more then enough forgiveness in it.

With St Croix rods running on the heavy side do you think a 7 foot ML or M Avid would be better? Or do you think the medium extra fast Fenwick World Class would be a better choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often taken Dan's advice (smalljaw67) and he has never steered me wrong.  Matter of fact I bought the same Fenwick 6'9" M-XF spinning rod after conversing with him.  Wasn't hard to talk me into that rod because the Smallmouth series are great rods.  At least I assume that is the model he is referring to.

I've no comment on which would be the better rod.  A local friend and his wife fish nothing but St. Croix.  I own more Fenwicks than any other brand.  I've always felt I got good value for my money.  St Croix is absent from my arsenal only because I haven't found a good deal on one I'd like to have.  Legends (and the Avids) cost more than I am willing to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PatrickKnight said:

With St Croix rods running on the heavy side do you think a 7 foot ML or M Avid would be better? Or do you think the medium extra fast Fenwick World Class would be a better choice?

The Avid X seems to be spot on with the power, it feels very different from the regular Avid, in fact I'm still amazed at how much difference there is between the two. The ML Avid will give you the same problem, go with the medium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the insight sir!

Now I just get to hunt for a new medium power rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you looking for a good medium power spinning rod or baitcaster? For what techniques? Are you looking for a medium power fast action rod or more like a Medium moderate rod for treble hook baits?  What is your budget for this rod?  Look at the Dobyns, Irods and St Croix Avid X all of these worth it in the $100 to $200 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for a spinning rod for throwing up to 1/4 jig heads tipped with plastics and hair jigs of the same size. Budget is 200 and I thought I was looking for a more moderate fast action rod but after the discussion so far I think I am under powered for the jigs I am using so at this point I think I am looking for a medium power fast action rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×