Sign in to follow this  
Paul Roberts

"Sebile" Flatt Shad

Are the "new" Berkley/Sebile Flatt Shad's still the same quality bait they were before Berkley acquired Sebile? They are now about half the price at TW. Same bait?

I would love to know the answer. I looked briefly and it seems Pure Fishing has changed colors and only offering the 66mm & 56mm?

I would check the size and weights vs. the older ones which are still on Ebay for $10 if lucky, most original Patrick Sebile Designed lures are hard to find now. Sebile name has not been the same since the Action Series as they were clearly just mass Produced Baits that were "Just another lure" 

I wonder if Patrick Sebile even designs lures for them anymore. I do not see any of his videos like he used to have where he would be all excited over a new lure, he had some odd designs, but also some winner's and at least you could see the thinking behind every lure, I always felt they made a mistake marketing expensive smaller lures to Saltwater angler's who generally do not pay big money for smaller Lures. Only Bass Fisherman including Myself pay $20 for a topwater walking lure, Saltwater guys are good with Spooks and Rapala.

If you buy them please do a review, I would hope they still are the same as I liked the smaller one's but once you change paint and hooks odds are something else was lost

Would love to hear any reviews.

I've got some coming. Will let you know. I'm cringing at the thought of opening that box. I've already bought some originals off ebay but the ones I like are disappearing.

17 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

I've got some coming. Will let you know. I'm cringing at the thought of opening that box. I've already bought some originals off ebay but the ones I like are disappearing.

I hope they kept the same profile and internals. Please do a review if possible since I know other guys on this site use the Flatt Shads as well.

Thanks in advance. TW usually passes on carrying cheap stuff or stuff that they think is gimmicky etc. They probably would't carry them if they were like the action series since they were stuck with them like everyone else. I am sure they checked them out b4 buying so I am sure they will be good. Positive Thinking. They never carry lures like the Dragonfly from R2Sea or others which they know may cause complaints. They are good like that.

• Like 1

The Sebile Flatt Shad - 077 - Suspending model definitely has a well deserved spot in my arsenal.

Sort of a "niche" bait for me, but one that in the right situation, excels. 

Good Luck Paul - we're all counting on you . . .

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Good Luck Paul - we're all counting on you . . .

A-Jay

Ha! The hopeful possibly stupid guinea pig is drawn in...

Yeah, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Roberts said:

Ha! The hopeful possibly stupid guinea pig is drawn in...

Yeah, I'll let you know.

Been there and will no doubt - be back.

A-Jay

• Like 1

Ok... got em.

They are not exactly the same as the originals. The paint/finish is different -more akin to cheaper Chinese plugs I've seen. They weren't badly done, but not exactly the same as the Sebile's. The body dimensions appear to be the same as the originals and very likely they will perform similarly. 

Also, they were all designated "XH", which stands for Xtra Heavy -the 66mm weighing 3/4oz! I hadn't seen this in the description and I can't use such heavy lipless in my waters. So I returned them.

I did keep the little 50mm ones I'd ordered (also "XH" and 3/8oz), thinking they were the 55mm length of the original smaller Sebile's. Instead these are quite a bit smaller, which is unfortunate. But I can make use of them in winter (ala bladebait) and in early spring.

Never did throw those 66's in the water but I would not hesitate trying them out. They appeared to be quality lures, although not quite the caliber of the originals. That said, I would let the bass decide as they are the ones I'm most interested in impressing. The original Sebile Flatt Shad is my favorite lipless.

Oddly enough, it appears they only now make the 3/8oz and 3/4oz! I don't get it. :blink:

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 0:22 PM, primetime said:

I hope they kept the same profile and internals. Please do a review if possible since I know other guys on this site use the Flatt Shads as well.

Thanks in advance. TW usually passes on carrying cheap stuff or stuff that they think is gimmicky etc. They probably would't carry them if they were like the action series since they were stuck with them like everyone else. I am sure they checked them out b4 buying so I am sure they will be good. Positive Thinking. They never carry lures like the Dragonfly from R2Sea or others which they know may cause complaints. They are good like that.

^^^

The original Sebiles  were quality lures. I'm going to guess without ever handling one, that the new incarnation are not close to the same. There was a reason the old Sebiles cost double or more than the new ones.

On 10/21/2016 at 7:29 PM, Paul Roberts said:

Ok... got em.

They are not exactly the same as the originals. The paint/finish is different -more akin to cheaper Chinese plugs I've seen. They weren't badly done, but not exactly the same as the Sebile's. The body dimensions appear to be the same as the originals and very likely they will perform similarly. 

Also, they were all designated "XH", which stands for Xtra Heavy -the 66mm weighing 3/4oz! I hadn't seen this in the description and I can't use such heavy lipless in my waters. So I returned them.

I did keep the little 50mm ones I'd ordered (also "XH" and 3/8oz), thinking they were the 55mm length of the original smaller Sebile's. Instead these are quite a bit smaller, which is unfortunate. But I can make use of them in winter (ala bladebait) and in early spring.

Never did throw those 66's in the water but I would not hesitate trying them out. They appeared to be quality lures, although not quite the caliber of the originals. That said, I would let the bass decide as they are the ones I'm most interested in impressing. The original Sebile Flatt Shad is my favorite lipless.

Oddly enough, it appears they only now make the 3/8oz and 3/4oz! I don't get it. :blink:

At least you could return them. Thanks for the review. I ordered ex heavy of the snagless ones as well by accident in the past and I like the idea, longer casts etc. but I have yet to really use them except a few casts. I like the smaller sebile flatt shads for clearer water since they are quiet and kind of finesse, 66mm is kind of a normal 1/2 size trap...

I think the x-heavy was meant for deeper water and jigging or yo yo maybe, the one time I tried them, they did sink right through the weeds wiithout getting stuck, but they sink really fast...Never tried them again but I think one day I may need them, but I guess deep water maybe they could be good. If I want something plowing through weeds, I don't want it to be a lure with a tiny hook, I would rather go with a texas rig/Jig.

I noticed Ebay has a guy selling lots of 3 for auction right now of older flatt shads no reserve. I used to buy mine from Fisherman's Heaven in NJ on Ebay, he is either aution but has them $10 buy it now, probably still has some left..Good guy.

thx

• Like 1

Yeah, the 66mm is about 1/2oz and is my favorite. Great for burning, yo-yoing, and ripping. The 55mm was a bit light and unstable for faster retrieves, but just right for very shallow uses, esp in early spring.

Odd that they only appear to make the XH's now. I'm wondering if there's a dispute or legal agreement with Sebile. If they reintroduce the 66 in 1/2oz I'll try the new incarnation. Again, the design looked the same.