Jump to content
redbirdsfan44

Upgrading to Carbon Drag

Recommended Posts

So I need to get a couple new reels because I have received two new rods as wedding gifts. One of them is a mud hole MHX FS904 and the other I'm not sure of because I haven't seen it yet all I know is its a custom rod made from a loomis NRX equivalent blank. The two reels I'm getting are the curado 70 and metanium mgl or chronarch CI4+ (I already have one and love it) My question is how much drag power do you gain from upgrading to carbontex drag washers? What is the overall improvement? Being that I'd like to use the curado 70 to flip with on the FS904 and 10lbs of drag doesn't seem to cut it for me, theoretically. Anyone that can give me some info is much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You generally get 30-50% more max power with a dry set up.  More important is the transition from grip to slip in the stack.  There is no "sticking and then breaking loose."  It's very smooth, wet or dry.  Personally, I wouldn't need more than 8 lbs. on a 4 power rod.  Doesn't mean a Carbontex upgrade is wasted, for the other reasons listed above.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the cost of a bag of senkos your drag will be much improved for as long as you own that reel.  I do it to all my Shimanos and Daiwas.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Carbontex drag is arguably the biggest bang for the buck upgrade for most reels. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redbirdsfan44 said:

So I need to get a couple new reels because I have received two new rods as wedding gifts. One of them is a mud hole MHX FS904 and the other I'm not sure of because I haven't seen it yet all I know is its a custom rod made from a loomis NRX equivalent blank. The two reels I'm getting are the curado 70 and metanium mgl or chronarch CI4+ (I already have one and love it) My question is how much drag power do you gain from upgrading to carbontex drag washers? What is the overall improvement? Being that I'd like to use the curado 70 to flip with on the FS904 and 10lbs of drag doesn't seem to cut it for me, theoretically. Anyone that can give me some info is much appreciated. 

The stock drag on the CI4 is one of the smoothest most consistent tested drags on another site.

My CI4 I "upgraded" to carbontex drag now not able to get it to lockdown or as tight as easily as stock form. So actually power went down it seems, would like to have stock drag back in. I really have to crank on the dragstar to get close to lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The Carbontex drag is arguably the biggest bang for the buck upgrade for most reels. 

 

I agree with this statement completely. If a reel of mine gets opened for any type of heavy maintenance or repair, a pair of Carbontex usually goes back in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

The Carbontex drag is arguably the biggest bang for the buck upgrade for most reels. 

true dat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

The stock drag on the CI4 is one of the smoothest most consistent tested drags on another site.

My CI4 I "upgraded" to carbontex drag now not able to get it to lockdown or as tight as easily as stock form. So actually power went down it seems, would like to have stock drag back in. I really have to crank on the dragstar to get close to lockdown.

Sounds like it was improperly installed, or something else isn't right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J Francho said:

Sounds like it was improperly installed, or something else isn't right. 

I sent it to a known reel service to have that done, Ill leave it at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

Will upgrading to Carbontex drags on spinning reels make much of a difference?

Yes, especially the multi-washer stack drags.  I run them dry in all my spinning setups because up here I might be fishing in sub freezing temps. Wet, lubed lightly with either Shimano Star Drag grease, or Cal's Drag Grease is the best setup for the smoothest, maintenance free setup.  Your drag will NEVER stick again.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:49 PM, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I "upgraded" to carbontex drag

 

On 10/19/2016 at 10:11 PM, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

I sent it to a known reel service to have that done, Ill leave it at that.

I would address the issue privately with them.  I'm sure they'll make it right.  I would.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, J Francho said:

Yes, especially the multi-washer stack drags.  I run them dry in all my spinning setups because up here I might be fishing in sub freezing temps. Wet, lubed lightly with either Shimano Star Drag grease, or Cal's Drag Grease is the best setup for the smoothest, maintenance free setup.  Your drag will NEVER stick again.

 

I would address the issue privately with them.  I'm sure they'll make it right.  I would.

100%. Communication is key. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×