Jump to content
12poundbass

Questions about side imaging

Recommended Posts

I'm brand new to this and I have to say I've learned a ton thank you guys! 

My question: I'm looking into a Helix 7 maybe 9si for the console and a Helix 7 on the bow. I've read from some on here si on the tm is a waste of money because you're always moving your tm. Is the opinion or fact? Also Wayne P you recommended getting the puck transducer for the tm, is there an up charge like the hd ducer? Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a 7" HDS unit in the bow, but it's networked from the console units as to give me side imaging and chart and run an Elite Chirp unit attached to the trolling motor for my up and down on the bow.  But I'm not familar with the Helix units and if they can be networked the same way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response. I believe the Helix 9 and up can be networked. I've thought about that but I think that would break the bank lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those that say it is a waste of money don't have a clue how to operate their Humminbirds properly. SI at the bow with a SI transducer on the trolling motor is my fishing tool. Just look at the screen shots posted above. Side Imaging is a Humminbird product. Other brands that copied it use another term.

Yes either the XTM 9 SI 180 T puck or the XTM 9 HDSI 180 T. Both of those have extra internal shielding to help with possible RFI from the trolling motor.

The included transducer for the Helix 7 SI GPS and Helix 9 SI GPS is the transom Compact SI transducer XNT 9 SI 180 T.

Yes there is an exchange cost since those transducers are more expensive. Then there is the shipping to Humminbird and them shipping to you. The last I saw posted for the HDSI was about $85 including shipping, but not shipping the included transducer to Humminbird--that is an extra expense.

Yes in the Helix line, the Helix 9, 10 and 12 models are linkable. The Helix 5 and 7 are not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always think it is weird that people put the larger unit in the back.  You have to look down a lot further when standing and fishing in the front.  I would run the larger unit on the bow if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angry John said:

I always think it is weird that people put the larger unit in the back.  You have to look down a lot further when standing and fishing in the front.  I would run the larger unit on the bow if possible.

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses! I'm new to this forum and new to fish finders. I've basically been fishing blind my entire life so your advise (larger unit up front) is much appreciated and makes sense! Thank you much. Looking forward to seeing what's below! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

Thanks for the responses! I'm new to this forum and new to fish finders. I've basically been fishing blind my entire life so your advise (larger unit up front) is much appreciated and makes sense! Thank you much. Looking forward to seeing what's below! 

The good thing about the side looking imaging technology is not only do you see "what's below", you see what is "over there" too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wayne P or anyone for that matter could you please steer me in the right direction to where I could read up on how best to use si on the tm? From a newbie perspective I understand some of the opinions I referred to earlier. With that said I've read a ton of your posts and you're a wizard when it comes to these things so I'd like to learn more so I can get the best out of my purchase and experience. Thanks guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2016 at 8:17 AM, 12poundbass said:

Wayne P or anyone for that matter could you please steer me in the right direction to where I could read up on how best to use si on the tm? From a newbie perspective I understand some of the opinions I referred to earlier. With that said I've read a ton of your posts and you're a wizard when it comes to these things so I'd like to learn more so I can get the best out of my purchase and experience. Thanks guys!

What unit do you have?

How to use it depends on the unit adjustments available.

I can give you detailed setup/operating instructions if it is Humminbird Side Imaging, I know a little about them. Have five SI units at this particular time. There is a new Humminbird Helix DVD just out by Doctor Sonar.

You can do a web search for the brand you have, there are lots of instructional videos via youtube.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't purchased a unit/units yet. I'm basically reading up on them so I can decide which is best for me. After doing this I'm almost sure I'm going to go with the Helix 7si or two maybe if the price is right a 7 & 9 both will be the si model. I'm holding out for a while to see if or when the gen2 comes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Bass Pro Shops on-line catalog, there will be two Helix 7 SI G2 models.

One will be G2N that is networkable and Bluetooth for $100 more.

Refer to their list.

The Humminbird website shows the G2 version now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should now be looking for the black Friday sales.  I use TW a lot and they run a good sale.  I would use the time now to be sure which unit you want so when the sales hit you can pull the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angry John said:

You should now be looking for the black Friday sales.  I use TW a lot and they run a good sale.  I would use the time now to be sure which unit you want so when the sales hit you can pull the trigger.

TW? I'm guessing you're referring to Tackle Warehouse? I've decided I'm going to get a couple Humminbirds. I was thinking about The Garmin 7sv because of the price but I know I'd regret it because of the lack of mapping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if they are a board sponsor and people get all up in arms about other sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Don't know if they are a board sponsor and people get all up in arms about other sites.

Tackle Warehouse is OK, did not get the *** when posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

Tackle Warehouse is OK, did not get the *** when posted.

Lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×