Sign in to follow this  
Fisherman7793

Help with swimbait/punching/musky reel

I want to get a swimbait/musky/punching baitcaster in about 6:1 gear ratio but I'm having trouble deciding, I want it somewhere in the 200$ range. So far I have come up with daiwa lexa 300, lew'd super duty, shimano curado 300e and the concept a3. Any experience with any or other recommendations are appreciated,  thank you.

I'm an abu man,but I would go with the Lews from the list you have. 

• Like 1

It's hard to find a decent musky reel for under $300.  I have the curado 300e, and it's a good reel.  The main problem with it, though, is that doesn't have much line capacity.  If you use 80 lb braid, you'll be able to cast out your entire spool with heavy lures.

1 hour ago, portiabrat said:

It's hard to find a decent musky reel for under $300.  I have the curado 300e, and it's a good reel.  The main problem with it, though, is that doesn't have much line capacity.  If you use 80 lb braid, you'll be able to cast out your entire spool with heavy lures.

The low profile reel listed have nearly the same line capacity 190 yards of 14 lb, 140 yds of 20 lb  mono rating.

80 lb Power Pro is .017 dia or similar to most 17 lb mono line, the capacity approx 150 yards for the 300E. Daiwa Lexa 300 or Shimano 300E if a low profile reel is what you prefer.

Tom

15 minutes ago, WRB said:

The low profile reel listed have nearly the same line capacity 190 yards of 14 lb, 140 yds of 20 lb  mono rating.

80 lb Power Pro is .017 dia or similar to most 17 lb mono line, the capacity approx 150 yards for the 300E. Daiwa Lexa 300 or Shimano 300E if a low profile reel is what you prefer.

Tom

If budget weren't an issue, I'd recommend a Revo Toro Beast or NACL.  They're low profile, hold tons of line, and have high IPT ratings, despite having low gear ratios.

I got both of mine on sale, but they were around $300 each.

• Like 1

You might be able to find a NaCl for sale, they stopped making them, so they were on clearance everywhere about a year ago. 

shimano calcutta b - indestructible and cast great - around $200 - I have 250 and 400 - for over 20 yrs still great reels for muskies, swimbaits, use the 250 for frogging. The 400 is the best musky reel I've run into  for the money.

Then I have pretty big hands.

Tatula HD and comes in under budget