Sign in to follow this  
d-camarena

Shimano crucial swimbait rod

you can but i would recommend a rod with a bit more weight range realistically a range of 2-5oz is a little low if you are throwing 8" hudds i don't think it's good to always be taxing the rod with a 5oz bait if the most it can take is 5oz. something with a weight range of 2-8oz would be better

• Like 1

It depends on how accurately you think they rated the rod. For example I have an okuma guide select 7'11" rated 1-6 oz....and I wouldn't throw 8" hudds on it. Anything over 4oz feels like I am overloading the rod. It's sweet spot is really around 2-3oz. Okuma was being a bit optimistic IMO. Now if shimano underrated the rod then you might be good but like scarborough said, if a hudd is truly pushing the limits of the rod you might be better off with something else. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MassYak85 said:

It depends on how accurately you think they rated the rod. For example I have an okuma guide select 7'11" rated 1-6 oz....and I wouldn't throw 8" hudds on it. Anything over 4oz feels like I am overloading the rod. It's sweet spot is really around 2-3oz. Okuma was being a bit optimistic IMO. Now if shimano underrated the rod then you might be good but like scarborough said, if a hudd is truly pushing the limits of the rod you might be better off with something else. 

swimbait rod lure ratings are hit or miss like MassYak85 says , okuma's rod rating for their swimbait rods have always been off ( grosssly overrated ) my swimbait rod (St.Croix Legend Tournament musky rod blank ) is rated 3 - 8 oz. but can throw baits up to 15 oz.. , just goes to show how much descrepancy there is in ratings .

a good rod for throwing Hudds is the Phenix 8' heavy swimbait rod rated 2 - 8 oz. ( USB-800H ), the rod is accurately rated and lots of guys like them .

• Like 1