Sign in to follow this  
Elkins45

Baitcaster recommendation for someone returning to the sport?

New member, first post.  Life has gotten in the way of fishing for the last 20 years, but as I ease toward retirement I'm starting to anticipate returning to fishing. I went out for a little boating/fishing last weekend and discovered that my baitcasting reels are worn out.

That's not really a surprise because my favorites were a couple of Daiwas (PMA1000 is the model) that I bought in 1987. They saw a lot of use and the bearings and springs seem to be pretty well worn out. So that brings me to my question: what's a decent baitcaster to replace my old reels? I paid $39 for them 29 years ago, so I'm thinking an equivalent reel would probably be around $100-120 today. I generally fish with 10-14lb line if that helps.

If you were spending $100-120 on a baitcasting reel, what would you choose?

Welcome to Bass Resource and welcome back to fishing!

I think Lews make a pretty good baitcasting reel in that price range. I am sure others will chime in with their favorites but I have switched all my baitcasting reels over to Lews. Here is their lineup: 

http://www.lews.com/castingreels.php

Take a look at this one: 

http://www.lews.com/casting-speedspool.php

Also, Delaware Valley Tackle might be able to bring your old reels back to life. They are a site sponsor and they offer a 10% discount on reel repair service for BassResource members: 

http://www.delawarevalleytackle.com/

How y'all are? ;)

Since you're familiar with Daiwa before why change?

They have outstanding reels in the price range.

• Like 1

Daiwa is my go to. There are two series of reels for you to take a serious look at. First Daiwa has a feel called the Exceler/ It retails for $99.  It is available online for $70.  I fish one and I have a friend that fishes at least 4 days a week. He is "TOUGH" on equipment and he fishes a bunch of them and they seem to hold up fine against bass, stripers and big snakeheads. Even better pick up a Daiwa Tatula CT. They are terrific. You will find Daiwa Tatula, and Tatula Type Rs as well as Tatula CT and CT type Rs.  The difference between a standard tatula and Tatula Type Rs is the R replaces one regular bearing with an extra corrosion resistant (2 instead of 1) and some cosmetics. Save the almost $50. The sane goes for the two versions of the CTs. Again save your dollars. I own some of each, fish them hard and love the smoothness, the T wing line winder, and the silky smooth drag. The Tatula CT is the newest piece in the lineup/ It has a bit narrower body and sits a bit lower so it palms a bit better. If you want to get a Tatula CT give me an e-mail at fishnkamp@comcast.net and I will send you a source where you can get one shipped to your door for $100. They retail for $130. If you live anywhere near MD I would be happy to meet you and let you cast one of mine.

:happy-127:   Welcome!

Original Tatulas can be gotten for around $95.  The newer Tatula CT models usually cost a little more, but I think I saw them on sale for around $100 recently.  Add a few more dollars for the Type R versions....which I prefer mostly for their looks although the original Tatula doesn't have the 8.1:1 gear ratio that is available in the Type R. The Lews Tournament MB is a fine reel at slightly under $110 off the big auction site.  The Daiwas are magnetic brakes.  The MB has dual brakes.

Now if you don't mind spending a little more, I can highly recommend a Pinnacle Primmus.  These reels seldom get mentioned, but are a great option.  Especially if you can find them on sale as I did.  A $225 reel for less than $105.  Reels are factory tuned, very light at 5.9 oz., nice looking and fantastic casting.  Centrifugal brakes only.  I sat mine with 3 on (of 6), set spool tension very loose, and haven't had to adjust it since.  Liked my first one well enough to buy 2 more.  It is a better set-and-forget reel than some of my Shimanos.

A Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier, is a solid choice in the $100 category. It goes on sale a few times a year and is a great value then. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations. I have seen some pretty good deals on the lower ratio Tatulas that are worth looking into. Pardon another dumb question, but has counterfeiting of high-end reels been a problem? I saw a Tatula for $70 and wondered if the deal was too good to be true.

21 hours ago, Catt said:

How y'all are? ;)

Since you're familiar with Daiwa before why change?

They have outstanding reels in the price range.

Ditto :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Elkins45 said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I have seen some pretty good deals on the lower ratio Tatulas that are worth looking into. Pardon another dumb question, but has counterfeiting of high-end reels been a problem? I saw a Tatula for $70 and wondered if the deal was too good to be true.

I have never heard of counterfeit reels.  You can get a new Tatula (original model) for $95 all day long.  I can believe $70 if a store is closing them out.  My first Curado 51E was purchased on close out.  A $199 reel for $98.  I've bought a new Helios Air for slightly over $120 off, two Pinnacle Primmus for $123 off regular price.  My Daiwa Procaster 100HN was a $79 reel purchased for an even $30 on closeout.  So yeah, I think that is a legitimate price on a legitimate reel.  I'd grab 2 or 3 if I were you.  :D

EDIT: I sold a like new Tatula for less than that to a young college student wanting to get into baitcast reels.