Montanaro

Side imaging kayak

Hey fellas, Ive a feelfree lure 11.5 kayak with lowrance elite 3x with transducer through scupper hole that tucks into hull slightly.  Ive gotten efficient in reading and using it and I am considering a Helix 5 SI.

However Im afraid the mounting options are limited as the hull may block the transducer and Im not big on a swing arm mount as it adds weight and encumberance.

Anyone have any experience with si kayaks?

I have the YakAttak arm, it's very light, and I don't have to worry about damaging the TD when putting in/taking out.  Not to mention, I can move the unit to other boats with slide tracks.  SI/DI/CHIRP all work great.

• Like 2

Do you believe si is a useful tool for your kayak? I mostly fish small waters but want a better understanding of them and having self charting abilities/gps

If you have the means, I would not hesitate to use SI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J Francho said:

I have the YakAttak arm, it's very light, and I don't have to worry about damaging the TD when putting in/taking out.  Not to mention, I can move the unit to other boats with slide tracks.  SI/DI/CHIRP all work great.

I use the YakAttak arm also.  It works great.  I would also highly recommend SI on your kayak.  I have a 798si on mine and would hate to lose SI capabilities.

• Like 2

IMG_0154.JPG

Mounted between the skid plate and the yak. Easy manufacturing. Works great. 

One of the things I like about using the arm is you can set it up in front of you instead of behind you.

• Like 1

Different kind of boat but the same solution.  I highly recommend a "deployment arm" for SI transducer mounting. As John said above, you can easily raise the transducer when launching or landing the boat, as well as shutting down the sonar and raising the transducer if you are in a bunch of slop that would foul the 'ducer.

I've been using my deployment arm for 7 years now, most currently on a Helix 10. You can see the arm raised on the right side of the sonar in the photo below.

Regarding SI on small watercraft - why not? It's just as helpful on small boats as on bass boats...

2016-08-24 Sherwood1.JPG

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jrob78 said:

Sweet set up!

Thanks !   It works, gets me off the bank...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goose52 said:

Different kind of boat but the same solution.  I highly recommend a "deployment arm" for SI transducer mounting. As John said above, you can easily raise the transducer when launching or landing the boat, as well as shutting down the sonar and raising the transducer if you are in a bunch of slop that would foul the 'ducer.

I've been using my deployment arm for 7 years now, most currently on a Helix 10. You can see the arm raised on the right side of the sonar in the photo below.

Regarding SI on small watercraft - why not? It's just as helpful on small boats as on bass boats...

2016-08-24 Sherwood1.JPG

Sheesh.. I thought I had a lot to set up. I ventured into this forum to find info on a picking a fish finder for my canoe. Thanks for showing the deployment arm as I was thinking of mounting it to the trolling motor but seems like a PITA. Nice rig...

• Like 1

Regarding the deployment arm...are they ram mount compatible?  The feelfree has adjustable mounts that accepts ram which would be ideal for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Montanaro said:

Regarding the deployment arm...are they ram mount compatible?  The feelfree has adjustable mounts that accepts ram which would be ideal for me

Mine is not Ram attachable directly - it is designed to be bolted to a "sideboard" (some of which might be Ram compatible).

What brand swing arms yall recommend?

On 11/17/2016 at 9:55 AM, J Francho said:

I have the YakAttak arm

23 hours ago, Jrob78 said:

I use the YakAttak arm also.

There's two votes.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Montanaro said:

I was going to make this suggestion.  I have a Lure 13.5 with the sonar pod, so I don't need it, but  I have used the Ram mount for rigging my sonar to my dad's 16' aluminum V and it's worked fine.  

I read something online that the sonar pod doesnt extend far enough for SI transducer to work properly...regardless Im not in a situation to trade in my lure for a new  (if i did id ratger have the new propulsion system)