It's a toad

Are Abu Garcia's rods usually heavier than listed or lighter?

I know from experience that the Veritas line runs heavy. Don't know about  the others. 

I own Vendettas, Veritas, and Veracity spinning and casting rods. I had a ML Villain, but it's at the bottom of Ponkapog Pond, but that's another story.

I own Kistler, Fenwick, BPS, G. Loomis, St. Croix, *************, and Diawa rods and agree that Abu rods run just a little heavier than their rating. My favorite is the Veritas line.  They're light, sensitive, and seem to load up better than most other brands I own.  If I had to fish only one rod, it would likely be my 7' M/F Veritas.

Best of luck rod hunting.

With Abu Garcia rods pay more attention to a rods suggested line size, lure weight, and then figure the rod will act about 1/2 step heavier than it says. For example I own a 7 foot original series Veritas in Heavy. According to its heavy rating I thought it would make a good frog rod.It was more like a mag heavy so I got the same rod in a 7 ft medium heavy and it is my frog rod. it is perfect for it. I use the heavy rod for pitching heavier baits and punching.  It will make a good rod to throw heavy jigs like 3/4 to 1 1/2 on deep ledges when I go back out to fish the lakes on the Tennessee River.  Their 7 medium moderate rod works traps and cranks great. We use them on bass, stripers and big blue cats, even snakeheads here on the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River.   

I have a first generation Abu Garcia Vendetta, it is actually a decent rod for the price point. Anyway, it is a medium power, fast action rod and the tip section is stiffer than other rods of the same power and action but the backbone is right on with the power of the rod. With that stiffer tip section it makes the rods fish as if they are 1/2 power more than the rating, if my rod was made by Kistler, it would be called a "light medium heavy". So look for the rod to be a half power over and that is basically in the tip section.

8 hours ago, fishnkamp said:

With Abu Garcia rods pay more attention to a rods suggested line size, lure weight, and then figure the rod will act about 1/2 step heavier than it says. For example I own a 7 foot original series Veritas in Heavy. According to its heavy rating I thought it would make a good frog rod.It was more like a mag heavy so I got the same rod in a 7 ft medium heavy and it is my frog rod. it is perfect for it. I use the heavy rod for pitching heavier baits and punching.  It will make a good rod to throw heavy jigs like 3/4 to 1 1/2 on deep ledges when I go back out to fish the lakes on the Tennessee River.  Their 7 medium moderate rod works traps and cranks great. We use them on bass, stripers and big blue cats, even snakeheads here on the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River.   

Well said. My 7MH Veritas was my frog rod for a few years. 

Build your own CCS measuring device and you'll take all the mystery out of power and action. I've never tested Garcia rods, but from my experience, mostly with blanks or rods I built from blanks, St Croix spinning/casting are usually more powerful than you would expect from their description.

There is a way to do the CCS testing without using a big sheet of pegboard.  

http://www.common-cents.info/