trick worms

Looking to buy a fishfinder

I'm looking to buy a fish finder for my sun dolphin sportsman 8 foot pond boat with a 175 max budget. I know nothing about fish finders. Do I need to buy a transducer seperately? Thanks

9 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

Models in that price range---No.

Are you saying they're not worth it in that price range? I was looking at the low range hook 4x

43 minutes ago, trick worms said:

Are you saying they're not worth it in that price range? I was looking at the low range hook 4x

You asked if you needed to buy the transducer separately. No, it comes with the depth finder.

Gander Mountain has a Lowrance Elite 5 HDI on sale for $169.99, after rebate.... Yes, it comes with a transducer.

Ok thanks. So the transducer goes under the boat and you screw in the fish finder somewhere, right? Also, do you need a12 volt battery for the depth finder?

I've b the n looking at the garmin striker 4/ 4 dv and the lowrance hook 4x. Are they good units? The main features I'm looking for are to be able to show brushpiles, stumps, and other cover and structure, as well as depth

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, trick worms said:

Ok thanks. So the transducer goes under the boat and you screw in the fish finder somewhere, right? Also, do you need a12 volt battery for the depth finder?

Yes. You don't need a full size battery, but it needs to be 12v. Since nothing else will be powered off that, you can get away with a lawnmower battery. 

14 hours ago, slonezp said:

Yes. You don't need a full size battery, but it needs to be 12v. Since nothing else will be powered off that, you can get away with a lawnmower battery. 

Ok thanks. I think I've decided on the garmin striker 4 dv or the lowrance elite/ hook 3x. If I get one of the lowrances, which one would be better? The elite 3x has dsi and the hook has regular sonar