MikeWright

Targeting record size Bluegill with lure

16 posts in this topic

Does anybody ever go out and target Bluegill, if so what lure do yall choose? No silly answers like pellets, corn, or worms. Like actual favorite lure to catch one on. 

Bluegill sunfish are pure joy on popper flies.

Naturally, the largest gills I've caught were by-catches on lures meant for bass

Geez, @MikeWright, you killed it for me!!

I don't use lures for bluegill! I use worms or 

trout pellets or Berkeley maggot-like things

for BG. And I LOVE to target them with a long

pole (no reel). Man that's fun And moreso 

when a nice sized bass decides to feast. :) 

Gulp Alive 1" minnow and small jig head 1/124 or 1/80

IMG_3121.jpg

6 people like this

I caught a few on the bitsy minnow, it was quite enjoyable with a 4'6" rod with 2 lb test..and heck yeah @Darren. especially crappie!!

2 people like this

I have caught them on green pumpkin 2 1/2" tubes 1/8 oz jig threaded from inside.

I have also caught them on Mann's BABY 1-MINUS seems the silver blue back one was a favorite. Don't ask why they couldn't even get it in their mouth but the back treble was working double time. 

These are not probably the best lures for them but they were working as good as or better than live worms. 

Trout magnets, any color.

2 people like this

We use the same rig we use for baitfishing for trout in streams for panfish in pond.  

Small aberdeen (preferably) hook, a small split-shot sinker 8 inches or so above the hook.  Bait the hook with whatever you want... We've used worms and other truly-edible stuff, but also caught tons on small grubs or little chunks of senkos/soft plastic that would otherwise be junked.

Panfish are generally hyper-competitive.  So, if you can find concentrations of panfish and get them turned on, you'll be able to catch fish on bare hooks after they're frothed up.  

in mid summer or late fall I use a small lizard and drag it slowly across floating moss patches. they seem to like to bust up thru the moss and eat it. kind of fun! was actually after bass when I discovered this.

I was just throwing a bitsy jig and cranked in a 4 lb LM. Probably the first fish I've actually reeled out the slack and cracked back on, it felt so good...off topic I know but just giving yall an update on Lake Polk here in Texas!!

Rapala original minnow, Rebel Crickhopper, Southern Pro Hot Grubs and Triple Tails on Kalin crappie jigheads.

1 person likes this

Smallest size KastMaster spoons. Cast it out and let it sink. Watch the line and count it down. When you see the tick, that's the depth they are at. From then on it's just, count down.....lift.....count down, etc.. You'll get some of the biggest gills that way.

Gulp cricket or some other cricket imitator- but nothing beats the live thing!

Jeff

Rooster tails

rebel grasshopper

float and fly is a good technique as well

I like a float and fly on light spinning gear. They go after a realistic fly as good if not better than live bait. Your fly will be thrashed by the end of the day. 

Crappie magnets on a small ball jig head.. it's a small grub with a forked tail.  And they work killer. I've actually hooked a few decent bass while targeting bluegill with these. Oddly, never caught a crappie on one.