Sign in to follow this  
Cboogie

HELP: which rod for what

Hey all, I have two Fitzgerald versa rods. I want to use one for jigs and plastics with bullet weights and the other for swimjigs and frogs. The first is a 7ft heavy (very soft tip) with a fast tip rated 3/8-3/4 lures. I only throw 3/8 and 1/2oz jigs. 

The next rod is a 7ft med heavy fast rated 1/4 to 3/4. 

Ive used the 7ft heavy for jigs and I really love it, but wondering if it would be better to use the 7'3? I planned to use the 7'3 for frogs and swimjigs. Both have a great soft tip and alotnof backbone.

i originally chose the 7ft for jigs cause I'm only 5'6 so it would have been easier to skip docks, etc. what are your opinions? And why?

I throw my frogs with a 7'3 H Kistler so I would use your 7'3 for that.  The extra 3" seems to help me walk the bait a little better.  I prefer a heavy action for this but you could get away with the med-heavy since you're likely using braid.  I fish jigs a lot and have 4 rods dedicated to them.  The 7' heavy is my favorite for dock skipping jigs as well.  Since you've already tried that one for jigs and liked it, I'd say stick with it.  If you find that the med-heavy is a little under powered for frogs, you could always change then...or give in to the bait monkey and buy a new one;)