Sign in to follow this  
jasondaily

Classic vs elite

The Bassmaster Elite Series is the highest level of professional bass fishing tournaments. Competitors must qualify for the series through the Bass Pro Shops Bassmaster Opens or the B.A.S.S. Nation, and anglers who are already on the Elite Series must re-qualify each year by maintaining enough points throughout the season. The pro anglers compete all season for the opportunity to win points toward the Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year award and to qualify for the Bassmaster Classic.

A-Jay

• Like 1

To add to AJay's description, the Classic is a annual tournament put on by B.A.S.S. (who also puts on the Elite series).  The 50 + contestants qualify a various number of ways, either by being in the top 38 or so of points in the Elite series the previous year, winning a B.A.S.S. Open event, winning one of 3 (I believe) spots through BASS Nation qualifying or winning the College Angler championship.  

That is why this event has a mixture of Elite pro's, touring pro's and amateurs. It features the best on the planet with a few non-pro's having a shot at the title.  Pretty unique.

• Like 3

In baseball terms, Elite series is the regular season. The Classic is the World Series except a few guys from the minor leagues get to play as well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1simplemann said:

In baseball terms, Elite series is the regular season. The Classic is the World Series except a few guys from the minor leagues get to play as well.

A better comparison IMO would be golfs US Open. I am aware it's probably not considered the top event in golf, but it is a major.

8 hours ago, MichiganBass80 said:

A better comparison IMO would be golfs US Open. I am aware it's probably not considered the top event in golf, but it is a major.

I'm sure he gets the point either way.

Elite is the top B.A.S.S. tournament trail of about 100 pro anglers fishing 12 annual events. 

The Classic is the Elites super bowl event for the top point winners and event winners, plus invites limited number of B.A.S.S. sanctioned Open winners anglers and Federation qualified anglers to compete, a total of about 50 anglers each year fish the Classic.

Tom

That makes me wonder, do you think winning the Bassmaster Classic or the Bassmaster Elite AOY (Angler of the Year) is more coveted?

Most of the anglers seem to point at AOY as the more coveted award.  However, if one's bank account is low, a Classic title sure fix's that...

5 hours ago, gimruis said:

That makes me wonder, do you think winning the Bassmaster Classic or the Bassmaster Elite AOY (Angler of the Year) is more coveted?

Would you rather be the World Series champion or the MVP? 

33 minutes ago, 1simplemann said:

Would you rather be the World Series champion or the MVP? 

The team wins a World Series one player wins MVP, no comparison.

Aaron has won AOY, placed 2nd a number of time in Classics, 2nd is forgotten. Classic winners are remembered, not the AOY anglers.

Tom

6 hours ago, WRB said:

The team wins a World Series one player wins MVP, no comparison.

Aaron has won AOY, placed 2nd a number of time in Classics, 2nd is forgotten. Classic winners are remembered, not the AOY anglers.

Tom

It was a play on my baseball analogy.  As a player, I would rather be on a world champion team than personally being league MVP. That's just me. You may see it otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1simplemann said:

It was a play on my baseball analogy.  As a player, I would rather be on a world champion team than personally being league MVP. That's just me. You may see it otherwise.

I agree and se the Classic win as the world champion.

Tom