BrackishBassin

Need a quick, easy, and kid friendly way to finish Jerkbaits/crankbaits/poppers/etc.

We're having an exploratory activities day in a couple of weeks at my school. I decided to do something fishing related (we had free reign to do whatever we wanted) and decided to let kids make/paint their own lures. I figured it would be cool for them to get the opportunity to create a custom bait to use when they go fishing. Going to have them name their lure's color scheme, take pictures, and hang them outside my classroom. Then, if the kids can actually bring in a picture of a fish they caught with their own lure, I'll add their lure color scheme and the picture of the fish to a little "Wall of Fame".

I ordered some plastic blanks (assorted lure styles) and pre-painted them all white so the kids have a base coat on already, but I ran into a bit of a problem. Normally, I finish my baits with an epoxy of some sort to waterproof/protect them, but I'm going to be working with middle school kids. Middle school kids and epoxy just don't mix. But I did run the idea past my principal just so I could see the look on her face. It was priceless. Just imagine the results of 20 middle school kids and some 3 ton epoxy. Not pretty.

I have been tossing around ideas in my head of ways they could finish the lures that would be safe for them and, just as important, allow me to maintain my sanity. The best idea I could come up with was clear nail polish. Anyone have a clue if that would work, or do you think the smell might cause the fish to avoid the baits like the plague? Is there something else I could use that you think might work better?

Any and all input, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Check these out ~ CS Quick-Coat Paint Markers

TW sells them

A-Jay

http://csipaint.com/products/markers-dips/quick-coat-paint-markers.php

9 hours ago, A-Jay said:

Check these out ~ CS Quick-Coat Paint Markers

TW sells them

A-Jay

http://csipaint.com/products/markers-dips/quick-coat-paint-markers.php

The paint isn't an issue. I've got that covered. Just didn't know if I needed to put a clear coat of some sort on them as well as the paint. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Clear nail polish will work good.  

You can dip in a clear polyurethane.  

But this will be an in class project, so you probably won't be able to finish in one period.

Suggest you let them paint(color), then epoxy yourself, and return to them with the results.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fish'n Jim said:

Clear nail polish will work good.  

You can dip in a clear polyurethane.  

But this will be an in class project, so you probably won't be able to finish in one period.

Suggest you let them paint(color), then epoxy yourself, and return to them with the results.

We've got two hours to work with. I'll give the clear nail polish a shot. Thanks!

I'm at 20 kids participating at the moment. I don't mind finishing a lure or two when I do a batch of my own, but I'm not going to do all 20 of them. 

A can of spray polyurethane would go a long way especially for beginners and hold up well enough no it's not epoxy but wat is unless ur actually using epoxy lol 

4 hours ago, dsqui said:

A can of spray polyurethane would go a long way especially for beginners and hold up well enough no it's not epoxy but wat is unless ur actually using epoxy lol 

Wouldn't that cause issues with the eyes though?

Why not have the kids paint the lures and then the next day dip them in urethane and hang them to dry in the back of the class for a few days???  You could do one student at a time and then hang and on to the next one.  The paint would be dry and the control would be good.

11 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Why not have the kids paint the lures and then the next day dip them in urethane and hang them to dry in the back of the class for a few days???  You could do one student at a time and then hang and on to the next one.  The paint would be dry and the control would be good.

Good idea, but this is a one off deal. Only allotted those two hours and then the kids are off for Spring Break. 

12 minutes ago, Angry John said:

Then use sharpies and glitter and still urethane them

Will it be dry enough to go home on a bus in 2 hours?

I'm Sure most that stuff dries to the touch very quickly it just has to set for awhile to hit 100% strength about like epoxy does worse case scenario kids could come by class and get them next day 

6 hours ago, Angry John said:

dont know anything that dries that fast

Nail polish does. That's why I was considering it. 

I dip jig heads in CS Seal Coat and Jig finish.  I have also brushed it in.  Seems to work great and dries in a half hour or less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cueball said:

I dip jig heads in CS Seal Coat and Jig finish.  I have also brushed it in.  Seems to work great and dries in a half hour or less.

Thanks!