As a complete novice to fishing,I was wondering if anybody could help me choose my gear.spinning and baitcasting really appeal to me and have given me an interest in angling.My question is this "what rod,reel,line and lures should I consider?"I am looking for an all round set up just to get me started.

My eternal gratitude in advance for any assistance.

Regards

Hello Pat and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

Reading from the BR articles section can definitely help you learn what type of gear to select.

https://www.bassresource.com/how-to-fish/

A-Jay

• Like 1

WELCOME aboard! You're in the right place for the information you seek for sure. There is a lot of information contained in the "Fishing Articles" above, as well as contained within the posts on the various forums. You've got a lot of reading up to do. However, on your journey to success, let me say that this group - some of the finest anglers in our country - will be more than happy to answer your questions.

However, we do need some information from you, such as:

How long have you been fishing?

Which bass species do you fish for?

What part of the country are you fishing?

What kind of water do you fish - lakes, ponds, rivers or reservoirs?

Do you own a boat?

Do you have a sonar?

What kinds of presentations are you interested in?

Given this kind of feedback, any questions you raise can be answered more precisely to your needs. Once again, Welcome aboard! :)

As you can see by the responese the simple sport if bass fishing isn't so simple.

When a novice or beginner fisherman wants to try bass fishing with me and I have taught lots of youngsters and a few oldsters how to bass, I start them out with medium power fast action spinning tackle with 8 lb premium mono line. Baitcasting takes time to master casting, spinning doesn't. I let kids and adults use my higher end tackle because I know it performs good and they can cast effectively and land fish they hook.

The basics are learning to tie a good knot like the Palomar or clinch knot. Learning to make up a rig like the split shot or drop shot rig and how to weedless hook a soft plastic worm. Keep everything simple and catch bass, the experience is priceless.

Tom

Welcome, the folks here will help you out if you listen. Enjoy!

If you are just starting out, I would stay away from a baitcaster. That may ultimately take away some of the fun that bass fishing really has to offer. The learning curve for baitcasters is quite steep. Starting off with a 6'6 or 7'0 MH spinning combo is probably most ideal. As far as line goes, there really isnt a wrong choice between 10-12lb mono/fluoro, or using a 15-20 braid. People will argue about the line choice until the cows come home, but they all will work. As for baits, keep it simple. Buy some senkos, some small swimbaits like a keitech swing impact fat and if you decide to use mono, or braid, grab a few of the medium sized top water poppers. Those baits will cover all of the areas of the water column, and they will also work on lethargic fish as well as active fish.

• Like 1