I am looking for some better quality lakes in the memphis/bartlett area to practice some catch and release bass fishing.  I am reasonably new to the area and joined this forum about ten minutes ago.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

No problemo...When do you want to fish?

2 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

No problemo...When do you want to fish?

Im a pretty much 7 to 330 monday through friday electrician.  I have tried cameron brown, yale rd., one on alturia, and appling lake.  I have caught quite a few bass but nothing over a pound or so.

Well, we should be able to bump that up a few pounds.  Most of the Memphis Pond Hoppers are catching

4-6# on the local ponds. Double digits are possible.

-Kent

• Like 1

That would be fantastic.  I am a catch and release bass fisherman.  Unfortunately my work schedule kinda confines me to being a weekend warrior angler.  I always keep a rod in the truck just in case im on a job near a public lake.

Well the evening is the best time to fish IMO.  If you can catch any of the days a storm front is coming it will up your catch rate and quality quite a bit.  Do you have any type of craft like a yak or a tube...   

I have an older jon boat with a outboard on it but it needs work.  I got it really cheap.  I found out about a month ago a former great uncle owns lyles lake in shelby forest.  I have taken a trolling motor and went a few times.

I can sure pull that outboard off though.

37 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

Well, we should be able to bump that up a few pounds.  Most of the Memphis Pond Hoppers are catching

-Kent

I think most of the little lakes around me are just over run with 3 inch bluegill and juvenile bass.

I pulled a 4 lb out of the little pond across from walgreens on covington pike.  See a lot more people there lately so the pressure has gone way up.  I let everything go but i see a lot of buckets with the people on shore.

Im not familiar with that one. I have seen several people talk about the grove? Also collierville.  I was reading old posts from like 2013.  I am still trying to figure out how to post things correctly.

50 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

-Kent

That would be awesome.  Im not sure if im clicking on the right icon to post or not.

If you can get permission, Otter Lake in Raliegh is a 17 acre private lake that was stocked with florida strain bass in the mid 80's.  My PB was caught and released there (12.5).  I bet there are some bruisers in there now. There are actually 2 lakes in that subdivision Otter and Beaver.  Forest Lakes Subdivision.  The entrance to the neighborhood is across from Broadmoor Baptist Church on Austin Peay.  Between Yale and Cov. pike

5 hours ago, WTnPuddleJumper said:

If you can get permission, Otter Lake in Raliegh is a 17 acre private lake that was stocked with florida strain bass in the mid 80's.  My PB was caught and released there (12.5).  I bet there are some bruisers in there now. There are actually 2 lakes in that subdivision Otter and Beaver.  Forest Lakes Subdivision.  The entrance to the neighborhood is across from Broadmoor Baptist Church on Austin Peay.  Between Yale and Cov. pike

Steve the owner of the closest one to Covington pike was owned by Mr. Mason my grand father worked for him at Mason Esso gas station on Jackson ave near Hi Boy hamburgers . We fished there a lot when I was knee high. We caught a lot of fish back then with a cane pole back in the early sixties be for my Grand father passed away in 1964. I have no Ideal when he sold the place. I'm talking about the one on the left on Austinpeay hwy. There wasn't any subdivisons past stage rd back then 

Dan, I grew up on Otter lake.  I know the one your talking about though

Has anyone been having any luck lately at any local lakes?  Taking my daughter to a fishing rodeo sat., then hoping to get out myself

On 6/8/2017 at 11:35 PM, Keith Mohundro said:

Has anyone been having any luck lately at any local lakes?  Taking my daughter to a fishing rodeo sat., then hoping to get out myself

Warmer weather seems to have made the bite pretty tough here lately. And constant on again off again bouts of rain storms.