RichF

First Trip of 2017

I made the trek up to NY last weekend to fish with my dad.  We both shared a nice, giant slice of humble pie Saturday.  Our normal smallmouth areas on the river were blown out from 3 straight days of rain and the fish simply weren't there.  I'm sure the 30 degree weather and snow overnight didn't help much either.  It was incredibly frustrating since these areas always load up with massive schools between the last week of March thru the 3rd week of April (for the previous 6-7 yrs anyway).  I honestly can't remember the last time both of us got skunked, but that's exactly what happened.  

We regrouped Sunday and went to pond we fished once, some 5 yrs ago.  It was the first time we fished out of the 12 footer in a long time.  The weather was much better but there was actually a little ice still on the pond in some spots.  We didn't knock their socks off but we got some good bites.  Ended up with 18 bites, landing 12 between the two of us (three over 4lbs).  It sure fell good to have the rod bend!

20170409_123149.jpg

My dad's two nice ones to follow.

20170409_094044.jpg

• Like 7

The early spring weather & mild winter was supposed to speed things up but instead right now is actually slower than years past. That pond saved your weekend for sure. Nice bass.

15 minutes ago, Dwight Hottle said:

The early spring weather & mild winter was supposed to speed things up but instead right now is actually slower than years past. That pond saved your weekend for sure. Nice bass.

Thanks and 100% agree.  My dad said their February was incredibly mild, even got up to 70 a day or two.  March was a different story.  Almost all the lakes thawed in Feb. only to re-freeze mid-March.  We didn't have the big boats out so I couldn't get a water temp reading, but I doubt is was even 40 degrees!