NHBull

Jerk/ multi purpose help

Gents

I am trying to limit myself to just 2 new rods this year.  One is going to be a GLX 852c JWR and I am open to suggestions for primarily a jerk rod that may also work for large poppers and smaller swimmers.  For this I am thinking GLX 842c MBR (M/F) or the 843c (MH/F).

I realize I don't NEED a GLX for this, and any input is appreciated as long as it is Loomis

Thanks,

Al

I only use high end rods for jerk baits. The better the sensitivity the easier it is to work the bait most efficiently. If you want to use larger jerk baits & top waters I would suggest the 843 or 844. The 844 is great for 7/8 or 1 ounce baits. It will also handle an occasionally bigger bait. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with DH that the 842 is not powerful enough for larger/heavier jerkbaits. I do differ with Dwight in that I prefer a graphite or composite rod for all my treble hook baits - something like the Dobyns CB705 glass (no longer use this rod) or the Megabass Flatside Special would be my choice. I have not used the Megabass Oneten rod but have read that it is perfect for larger baits. I would agree that GLX is a bit overkill but that's JMHO.

• Thanks 1

I picked up a GLX 843c this fall and the longish rear grip kills it for me as a jerkbait rod.  It's so clumsy and the butt cap is forever hitting my jacket sleeve.  The rod's power/taper seems fine for working them, but the handle ruins it for me.  

Right now I am using a IMX CR721 as my jerkbait rod in winter and as a magBFS rod the rest of the year.  I am thinking of replacing it with a St Croix Avid AVC62MXF as I think it would be a better rod for both and would "fit" better in my lineup.   

• Thanks 1

For the vision 110 , Mcstick and pointer I always liked the IMX 802 topwater rod. The length and action are good for stickbaits.

Also makes a nice yellow magic rod.

Personally I think there are better stickbait rods out there than Loomis but if that's the route you want to go that would be a good choice.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rangerjockey said:

For the vision 110 , Mcstick and pointer I always liked the IMX 802 topwater rod. The length and action are good for stickbaits.

Also makes a nice yellow magic rod.

Personally I think there are better stickbait rods out there than Loomis but if that's the route you want to go that would be a good choice.

If you were looking beyond Loomis, what would top the list?, thanks 

I live amongst some of the best stickbait fisherman in the country. The Falcon weightless worm rod is very popular along with the McClelland signature. I fish both. Along with the Denali murphy rod  which I believe is now in the lithium series and just called  the jerkbait rod, buts its the same blank.

• Thanks 1