Caliyak

4k vs 1080p bass fishing vids

mods move if not in the right spot. 

I just bought a 4k action camera. I have been researching, learning and getting a handle of this technology. For fishing (kayak fishing for me), what does everyone use? 4k, 2k or 1080p

What are the pros and cons?

Does it make a huge difference if not youtubing it or just for your own recordings? 

@Glenn, what do you use for your youtube videos? 

1080p and 720p for me.

I don't think i can talk about my YouTube channel on here....

As your resolution goes up, so does everything else.  Higher res = larger file size=more mem cards needed.  Also, the higher resolutions generate more heat in your camera and use up batteries faster.  the higher resolutions need more PC power to edit and larger HDD space to store it.  Like i said, there is a cost.

if you want to there is a VERY popular youtuber who shot a video in 4k recently and he usually does 1080p.  good way to see the diff.  Also, YT is not true 4k.  I believe the platform loses some resolution due to the streaming nature of the platform. 

4k Would be AWESOME at home if you happen to get a shot of your PB and want to force everyone at your kids bday party to relive the moment with you! 

DM me if you want.  It gets kind of sketchy with this topic because i am not allowed to promote or profit in the posts.  I don't want to get a strike just trying to help out a fellow member.

Sorry mods...I tried to stay in the Slot. :)

• Like 1

Tri, thank you for the info and I understand the boundaries. PM sent 

I've been looking at getting a newer GoPro that shoots in 4K.  With it, I'd need a new computer to do any kind of editing.  The more I research, the more $$$ required.  The 4K deal is probably not worth it unless you're pretty serious about editing/do it professionally.  1080p is def fine for Youtube.

• Like 1

Yup 4K editing would need a special software for it, most video editing only support 1080P unless you pay for premium or professional ones. Also you would need dedicated graphic card computer/laptop in order to editing video perfectly for any kind of effects add like fast forwarding or slow motion. If you gonna store video on your own hard drive to watch, it should be fine but to upload to YouTube I don't see the need.