Jump to content
Ratherbfishing

Cautionary note-fish finder features may vary more than you think

Recommended Posts

I am NOT saying that makers of fish finders are deliberately deceptive (though sometimes I do have to wonder) BUT if you are new to the whole fish finder/sonar/GPS thing, be wary (or at least, be very informed).  A particular model may (or may NOT) have all the features you want/expect on it.  And ESPECIALLY make sure it has what you expect before you mount it and or the transducer to your boat.  Be especially wary if you read something like "this unit supports X, Y, or Z.  This MIGHT mean that you have to buy an (expensive) accessory or different transducer in order for it to actually DO X, Y, or Z.  Case in point, I was dreamily looking at the HELIX 12.  This thing is massive but so is the price.  I went on Amazon to compare their prices with the price I saw in the store.  I found one that was less than half the price of the store model and I thought at first, "holy schneikies!  What a deal!"  This can't be right.  I looked closer.  I was correct. This one did not even have down imaging-let alone side imaging.  Before you rush out and buy an expensive unit, do your research and behave a little bit like a (dare I say?!) skeptical attorney.  It might save you some money or grief down the road.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, in the case of the Helix, there is a sonar/GPS model, then one that adds DI, and another that adds SI.  It isn't deceptive marketing, it's them offering you only what you need.  If I were to put two units in the same location, so I could have a full screen GPS and a full screen SI, then I wouldn't want to pay extra for the DI or SI.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J Francho said:

Well, in the case of the Helix, there is a sonar/GPS model, then one that adds DI, and another that adds SI.  It isn't deceptive marketing, it's them offering you only what you need.  If I were to put two units in the same location, so I could have a full screen GPS and a full screen SI, then I wouldn't want to pay extra for the DI or SI.

Agreed.  Just sayin' that it isn't always clear (and sometimes it's muddy as all get out).  Personally, I think a unit with different features should have a different "designation" or model number-such as "Helix 7a or helix 7b."  Whether it's deliberate or not, consumers DO need to do their research.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ratherbfishing said:

Agreed.  Just sayin' that it isn't always clear (and sometimes it's muddy as all get out).  Personally, I think a unit with different features should have a different "designation" or model number-such as "Helix 7a or helix 7b."  Whether it's deliberate or not, consumers DO need to do their research.

They do have different designations. There's a 

Helix GPS

Helix sonar

Helix sonar GPS

Helix DI

Helix SI

Each step down you go you get everything mentioned above if that makes sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I know what the OP is talking about. Some online retailers just grab whatever specs they find and attach it to their add. Sometimes they are using specs for a completely different unit.

 

In Humminbird's case I always find it best to check what the unit does on Humminbird's website, then get the model number (see red arrow in the image) and then go shopping.

 

 

bird.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and then there is the helix G1 then there's the G2 then there's the G2N the "N" means it can be networked. The rest can not, as far as I know.

 

They are all spelled out and easy to understand if you do your part and research, ask questions, and read more. It's confusing to a person who's just getting in the market. The price you pay these you better educate yourself before you pony up that kind of coin. Then there's the learning curve associated with getting a new unit an understanding what it can do and most importantly what the heck you're looking at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Turtle135 said:

I believe I know what the OP is talking about. Some online retailers just grab whatever specs they find and attach it to their add. Sometimes they are using specs for a completely different unit.

 

In Humminbird's case I always find it best to check what the unit does on Humminbird's website, then get the model number (see red arrow in the image) and then go shopping.

 

 

bird.jpg

That is a good idea. Another thing, in my mind at least a red flag would go up for me if a retailer is just grabbing whatever numbers and throwing it up there. If it's a good reputable retailer they should take the time to put everything on there and make it look professional. Like the example you gave.

 

All else fails just ask the BR family. There's plenty on here who'll steer people in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 12poundbass said:

If it's a good reputable retailer they should take the time to put everything on there and make it look professional. Like the example you gave

Well, that's the manu's website. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J Francho said:

Well, that's the manu's website. ;)

I guess that's why it's the most professional one I've seen. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main point is that buying a fish finder and getting exactly what you want/expect can be complicated and a person will definitely want to know what it is they're getting into-and ESPECIALLY before they drill holes and install the transducer on their boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ratherbfishing said:

My main point is that buying a fish finder and getting exactly what you want/expect can be complicated and a person will definitely want to know what it is they're getting into-and ESPECIALLY before they drill holes and install the transducer on their boat.

Ask and you shall receive my friend. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×