Today I went fishing and asked my friend to hold my rod while I was fixing his reel, he set my brand new Curado K against a rock and now it has a few minute scratches. It is seriously triggering my "OCD" about this kind of stuff happening to my new equipment, especially since I just got this reel for X-mas, Any methods to get rid of those scratch marks?

I've gotten rid of reels over that! If not I usually fill them in with a sharpie or nail polish then buff it when dry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

I've gotten rid of reels over that! If not I usually fill them in with a sharpie or nail polish then buff it when dry. 

so with the K your saying that a black sharpie won't leave any marks and same with the nail polish? 

3 hours ago, E-DOG said:

so with the K your saying that a black sharpie won't leave any marks and same with the nail polish? 

Such tactics may work on a glossy reel, but I wouldn't do it on yours.

3 hours ago, E-DOG said:

I haven't had to try it on my K yet. I have done the sharpie to a concept though. It kinda dulls down to a matte look. Nail polish is too glossy for a matte colored reel. I would've kicked my buddy right in the jewels honestly! 

Scratches add character and stories you can tell. As long as the reel still works, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tell your friends the 10lb smallie hanging on your wall put up such a fight that you dropped your rod onto a rock and have this scratch in your reel as a result. :)

• Like 2

I totally get where you are coming from but tough to use a reel for long without getting a few scratches.  Honestly I Don't know if I could enjoy using my gear if that stuff bothered me. I'd also be afraid any touch up attempt may make it look worse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

I've gotten rid of friends over that!

Wow.... :)

sry....jk

I'm with LionHeart -- in fact, I'm the guy that used to put on my brand new Stan Smiths and find some mud and gravel to get that new stink off 'em

• Like 1

Look at it like this:  You've gotten the requisite scratches out of the way and now you can just relax and fish with it.  Really the only way to avoid scratches is to not use it.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

Wow.... :)

sry....jk

I'm with LionHeart -- in fact, I'm the guy that used to put on my brand new Stan Smiths and find some mud and gravel to get that new stink off 'em

What you did there.... i caught it 😂

14 hours ago, E-DOG said:

Today I went fishing and asked my friend to hold my rod while I was fixing his reel, he set my brand new Curado K against a rock and now it has a few minute scratches. It is seriously triggering my "OCD" about this kind of stuff happening to my new equipment, especially since I just got this reel for X-mas, Any methods to get rid of those scratch marks?

I have a Curado K too, does yours make an odd noise when reeling? (Sorry for off topic but I’m concerned)

The first one is tough, second time is still hurt but except able by third time you would feel nothing.

4 hours ago, TylerT123 said:

I have a Curado K too, does yours make an odd noise when reeling? (Sorry for off topic but I’m concerned)

No, mine has been a joy to use it is smooth and quiet. the sound you are hearing might be if you have braid on the spool because the braid makes some noise when going through the guides. what kind of sound is this that the reel is making?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-DOG said:

No, mine has been a joy to use it is smooth and quiet. the sound you are hearing might be if you have braid on the spool because the braid makes some noise when going through the guides. what kind of sound is this that the reel is making?

Lol. Have yet to use it at all, it sounds like it’s coming from the gears and it sounds like a screeching sometimes and I don’t know how to explain it. I’m shipping it off to Shimano, it’s still under warranty and all I have to pay for is one way shipping.

10 hours ago, TylerT123 said:

Lol. Have yet to use it at all, it sounds like it’s coming from the gears and it sounds like a screeching sometimes and I don’t know how to explain it. I’m shipping it off to Shimano, it’s still under warranty and all I have to pay for is one way shipping.

Lol, just bad luck I guess.

• Like 1

Don't touch it up...because then it's not original! :)

You'll be adding your own battle scars in short order.  Don't sweat the superficial stuff.

• Like 1

Let it go and keep fishing if it still works. The war wounds are inevitable.