Jump to content
TNReb

Buying another rod.. can't make up my mind

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for a new rod. 

 

To quickly describe what kind of fishing I do... I fish close to cover almost exclusively - docks, trees, rock piles, and the occasional weed bed that isn't more than 10-15ft deep.  There's no lily pads around.  Fishing open water isn't something I've mastered.  Jigs/senkos/flukes/texas rig are what I fish 90% of the time.  The other 10% is buzz baits and crank baits.  This means my casts are all fairly "normal" or short range.  I don't have the need to throw the lure a quarter mile.

 

I currently have a Mossyback BCR 853 (7'1, MH, Extra Fast).  I use this rod the majority of the time.  

 

Am I dumb to get a 7'5 rod, knowing that the overwhelming majority of my fishing is close to structure where real long casts aren't necessary?  I don't really like the feel of short 6' rods.  7' is as short as I would want to go.

 

Am I dumb to get a rod that has almost the same specs (MH, Extra Fast) as my Mossyback?  I feel like I am, but why buy a rod for some other type of fishing that I don't do?  

 

I just can't make up my mind and and curious if I can spark a conversation to push me on way or another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G. Loomis GLX or IMX MBR844C

 

:love-093:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two E6Xs and really like them, and the IMX Pros are similar actions while being lighter and more sensitive with better guides.

 

i would get an IMX Pro. 

 

If you do, please post pics so I can pretend its mine :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you prefer Heavy?  I haven't really considered that... Just because MH seems to work fine.  I don't think I've ever bass fished with a Heavy rod other than old ugly sticks growing up. 

5 minutes ago, Hulkster said:

I have two E6Xs and really like them, and the IMX Pros are similar actions while being lighter and more sensitive with better guides.

 

i would get an IMX Pro. 

 

If you do, please post pics so I can pretend its mine :)

An E6X 953c is one of the rods I sold. Great rod, it just wasn't as sensitive as my Mossy ack to me. My buddy wanted to buy it, so I just let it go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TNReb said:

Why do you prefer Heavy? 

The MBR844C is rated Heavy by G.Loomis, but it is MH when compared to other brands.

All of my rods are "Favorites", but if I could only have one, this would be it.

 

:fishing-026:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TNReb said:

I'm looking for a new rod. 

 

To quickly describe what kind of fishing I do... I fish close to cover almost exclusively - docks, trees, rock piles, and the occasional weed bed that isn't more than 10-15ft deep.  There's no lily pads around.  Fishing open water isn't something I've mastered.  Jigs/senkos/flukes/texas rig are what I fish 90% of the time.  

 

Am I dumb to get a rod that has almost the same specs (MH, Extra Fast) as my Mossyback?  I feel like I am, but why buy a rod for some other type of fishing that I don't do?  

 

I just can't make up my mind and and curious if I can spark a conversation to push me on way or another.

Not dumb at all.  I use a St. Croix Bass X rod for moving baits, and have seriously thought about getting another one with the same specs because it is so versatile.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×