TNReb

Buying another rod.. can't make up my mind

I'm looking for a new rod. 

To quickly describe what kind of fishing I do... I fish close to cover almost exclusively - docks, trees, rock piles, and the occasional weed bed that isn't more than 10-15ft deep.  There's no lily pads around.  Fishing open water isn't something I've mastered.  Jigs/senkos/flukes/texas rig are what I fish 90% of the time.  The other 10% is buzz baits and crank baits.  This means my casts are all fairly "normal" or short range.  I don't have the need to throw the lure a quarter mile.

I currently have a Mossyback BCR 853 (7'1, MH, Extra Fast).  I use this rod the majority of the time.  

Am I dumb to get a 7'5 rod, knowing that the overwhelming majority of my fishing is close to structure where real long casts aren't necessary?  I don't really like the feel of short 6' rods.  7' is as short as I would want to go.

Am I dumb to get a rod that has almost the same specs (MH, Extra Fast) as my Mossyback?  I feel like I am, but why buy a rod for some other type of fishing that I don't do?  

I just can't make up my mind and and curious if I can spark a conversation to push me on way or another.

G. Loomis GLX or IMX MBR844C

:love-093:

I have two E6Xs and really like them, and the IMX Pros are similar actions while being lighter and more sensitive with better guides.

i would get an IMX Pro. 

If you do, please post pics so I can pretend its mine :)

Why do you prefer Heavy?  I haven't really considered that... Just because MH seems to work fine.  I don't think I've ever bass fished with a Heavy rod other than old ugly sticks growing up. 

5 minutes ago, Hulkster said:

I have two E6Xs and really like them, and the IMX Pros are similar actions while being lighter and more sensitive with better guides.

i would get an IMX Pro. 

If you do, please post pics so I can pretend its mine :)

An E6X 953c is one of the rods I sold. Great rod, it just wasn't as sensitive as my Mossy ack to me. My buddy wanted to buy it, so I just let it go. 

44 minutes ago, TNReb said:

Why do you prefer Heavy? 

The MBR844C is rated Heavy by G.Loomis, but it is MH when compared to other brands.

All of my rods are "Favorites", but if I could only have one, this would be it.

:fishing-026:

3 hours ago, TNReb said:

I'm looking for a new rod. 

To quickly describe what kind of fishing I do... I fish close to cover almost exclusively - docks, trees, rock piles, and the occasional weed bed that isn't more than 10-15ft deep.  There's no lily pads around.  Fishing open water isn't something I've mastered.  Jigs/senkos/flukes/texas rig are what I fish 90% of the time.  

Am I dumb to get a rod that has almost the same specs (MH, Extra Fast) as my Mossyback?  I feel like I am, but why buy a rod for some other type of fishing that I don't do?  

I just can't make up my mind and and curious if I can spark a conversation to push me on way or another.

Not dumb at all.  I use a St. Croix Bass X rod for moving baits, and have seriously thought about getting another one with the same specs because it is so versatile.