Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After an absence of several years, I hope to hit the water again this summer.  However, I am concerned about a challenge that may affect my ability to enjoy fishing.  Due to my chemo treatments, neuropathy is causing tingling in the tips of my fingers and I'm concerned I may not feel line, hooks, etc.  While the palomar knot is probably better suited for most of my fishing techniques, I'm thinking of returning to the clinch or improved clinch that I started fishing with.  I hope I have some "muscle memory" left for these basic knots. 

 

Are there any other knots I should try to learn.  I use either copoly or mono (6-12 lb).

 

I should also add that in the past 5 years old age has caused my eyesight to get worse.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have diabetic neuropathy in my right foot, and a tiny bit around my lft eye.  I can relate to the pain, but not tying knots.  I sometimes have shaky hands, though, and at 45 my close eyesight stinks.  Been using mild 1.50 readers for seeing the knots.  When I use copoly (CXX, usually) or Mono (Seaguar Senshi and Rippin'), I have no issues with an improved clinch knot.  I have also found it easier to tie Uni knots, than some of the fancier knots.  I'd say just take the time to practice a few knots, and come up with a couple you know you can tie well.

 

Good luck, and I hope your health returns.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I have diabetic neuropathy in my right foot, and a tiny bit around my lft eye.  I can relate to the pain, but not tying knots.  I sometimes have shaky hands, though, and at 45 my close eyesight stinks.  Been using mild 1.50 readers for seeing the knots.  When I use copoly (CXX, usually) or Mono (Seaguar Senshi and Rippin'), I have no issues with an improved clinch knot.  I have also found it easier to tie Uni knots, than some of the fancier knots.  I'd say just take the time to practice a few knots, and come up with a couple you know you can tie well.

Thanks, being diabetic I knew neuropathy was in the cards; chemo really sped the tingling (good news-it should slowly reverse over time). 

 

Although my progressive glasses are "transitions", they are not polarized.

 

It's great to hear that you've had no issues with the improved clinch knot.  I still have a stash of Gamma from 6lb to 12lb.  I've tied the Uni knot a few times.  My patience will be the biggest challenge there.

 

I'm also planning on starting with only spinning gear.  I'm already a master of backlashes and I assume a tingling, numb thumb will only enhance that skill:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LAO162 said:

I've tied the Uni knot a few times.  My patience will be the biggest challenge there.

I make a fairly big loop, and use a decent size tag that I hold in my lips for each pass.  That way I don't have to finangle my fingers and the loop.  A little slow, but the knot comes out well.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, J Francho said:

I make a fairly big loop, and use a decent size tag that I hold in my lips for each pass.  That way I don't have to finangle my fingers and the loop.  A little slow, but the knot comes out well.

Thanks! You make it sound easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to suggest the Uni knot as well for ease of tying. It is the one knot I can tie with complete confidence in the pitch dark.

 

On your progressive lens you may want to take a look at finding a pair of polarized Cocoons (either the Fitovers or the Clip-Ons). I use the Clip-Ons.

 

https://cocoonseyewear.com/

 

 

 

Cocoons.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if you're in to using snaps, but that would prevent you from having re-tie unless your line snaps.  I'm not a big fan of retying, so I started using snaps, and catch plenty of bass on em (so it doesn't seem to be spooking the bass too much, including clear water bass).  As far as a knot, I started using the uni over a  clinch (two loops around the hook eye instead of one for added strength).  I like the uni way better, and it definitely holds better than a clinch for braid, in my opinion.   I would say it's easier to tie as well, seeing as you don't have to aim the last bit through the eye of the hole you create with a clinch knot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to read about your health issues. There isn't anything wrong with the improved clinch knot, easy to tie correctly. Another similar knot is the San Diego Jam, good for FC line. The Palomar knot does require some hand eye coordination to thread the line through the hook/lure eye and back through if you don't double and pinch the line to thread it through. Practice at home and use the knot you tie effectively.

invest in sharp hooks like Owner, Gamakatsu and Mustad Ultra points, so the bass stick themselves when striking.

Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Riazuli said:

Not sure if you're in to using snaps, but that would prevent you from having re-tie unless your line snaps.  I'm not a big fan of retying, so I started using snaps, and catch plenty of bass on em (so it doesn't seem to be spooking the bass too much, including clear water bass).  As far as a knot, I started using the uni over a  clinch (two loops around the hook eye instead of one for added strength).  I like the uni way better, and it definitely holds better than a clinch for braid, in my opinion.   I would say it's easier to tie as well, seeing as you don't have to aim the last bit through the eye of the hole you create with a clinch knot. 

I've been using duo snaps with cranks so the knot doesn't impend the action.  I also double the loop on clinch knots.  Guess I'll be investing more time in the uni.  I was playing with some reels today thinking about @J Francho 's method for the uni knot.  My lips were far more sensitive than my finger tips:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have one eye now and have settled on the uni as the best one for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×