Hey I have several fishing reels that are more than several years old and have never had their internals cleaned. I think I should probably get these things cleaned before I bust them out this season. I can feel they are not as smooth as they once were. Is it (in your opinion) more economical and practical to have them professionally cleaned? I live in NE Kansas so if anyone around here has had their reels cleaned and can comment with some prices I will PM for location. 

I'm a rather lazy and neglectful sort...but I do maintain my reels a little -

Spinning - I take the spool, handle, and handle cap off; clean with alcohol; apply reel oil and reassemble.  Never anything more unless there's a problem.

Baitcasting - I use http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/customer-service/reel-maintenance-instructions/_jcr_content/bodycontent/download_0/downloadFile/file.res/Maintenance Tips - Conventional Reels .pdf

and clean and oil/lube about twice a year.

Every two or three years I send them out for deep cleaning.  I recommend Mike (DVT.)

• Like 3

Delaware Tackle on here is an excellent place to start.

The cost of service for members here is $19.80ea (22-10%). Just supply your screen name when sending reels. Shipping and parts are extra. Feel free to email or call with any questions. 

Mike

• Like 3

I do the same as @Choporoz, I do minor maintenance my casting reels, that include re-oil bearing as needed, re-lube worm gear as needed, clean old grease and re-grease gears, drag and components once a year. Every few yrs I'll send to mike at DVT for totally cleaning.

for spinning reel, I'd send to DVT for any internal cleaning. Last time I opened up my spinning reel,

i lost the d**n tiny spring for anti-reverse clutch. I swear to myself not to open any spinning again.lol

BTW I just sent mike 2 reels for totally cleaning.

• Like 1

If you're going to send them to DVT, you might want to step up to a high performance polishing for  $12 more.