bigbassin'

Dropshot Water Visibility

This isn't a technique I've seen or even heard of someone using in Florida outside of on bed fish so I figure I'd likely be showing the fish a new presentation.  I'd be using it to fish weedlines in the 10 to 12 fow range with 1 to 2 feet of visibility.  The fish around me are still prespawn, believe they'll stay that way for another month or so.  Do these conditions make dropshotting an effective option, or does the water need to be clearer/deeper/colder/etc. to make it worth trying?

I'm not a huge drop shot guy so take this for what's it worth; and I'm sure a more experienced BR member will come along and correct me if need be.

But.. in the case of something being worth trying, there are no hard and fast rules in bass fishing. However, for me, I think of drop shotting as more of a visibility requirement finesse technique. The shake of the rig isn't loud, doesn't displace lots of water, isn't overly visible as far as size or action, or attract much outside of its visible action. So if visibility is an issue, I would try something different - or, go bigger with your profile if you know bass are holding there. 

Again, just because something works better in clearer water, doesn't mean it won't work at all in other. Again, there are no hard and fast rules. But drop shotting in this type of water wouldn't be my first choice. 

I've been throwing a drop shot some for about 2 years in off color water...never muddy  but far from clear with good results. Even at night in the summer, so you definitely don't need cold, deep clear water. 

I use bigger worms...my favorite is a Zoom trickworm in a darker color of your choice. (Black, California 420, Bullfrog.) I like the Kentucky Flash color in sunny conditions when the water is a little clearer.

My home lake has typical clarity of about 1'.  Drop shot is easily my most productive presentation and I'm targeting largemouth only in a manner similar to what you're describing - weed lines and also rocky banks.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either for all of the reasons you've mentioned but it simply works.  And better than anything else on this body of water.  I do use scent so that likely helps.

In your situation I'd be super excited to try it.

I would say look into the “bubbashot” it’s a beefed up idea of the drop shot.  You throw it on bc gear, use bigger hooks, and baits. I have fished a ds in 2” of visibility and done ok, just have to be target specific. With the weeds and reduced vis you can try to throw it on braid and also try a fc leader. Go with what your comfortable with. Bait wise straight tail worm like a zoom trick worm, can try Shad shaped baits or paddle tail baits like a swing impact. Options are endless. I say throw it with confidence and you might be surprised. Good luck and let us hear how you do.

I have dropshotted in MUD and caught good bass!

You throw it where they are at they will eat it.....especially if the mud has turned them negative

I've night fished with a drop shot. Worked out surprisingly well. 

• Like 1

Dropshotting is pretty big up here in our clear lakes.  I'm just OK at it as I'm more of a power fishing type and my patience with it doesn't last too long, although there are times where it is deadly.  This is a technique where the fish generally need to see the bait.  Like others have said there are exceptions to all rules.  I know some really like using small paddle tail baits because it displaces more water which could help in less visibility.  

Thanks for the replies everyone, seems to be a wide-range of opinions which is kind of what I was expecting.  Next time out I'll give it a try with a trick worm and a swimbait and see if produces, figure it can't hurt to try.

• Like 1

ive drop shotted in stained water, had some good luck flipping a drop shot to logs trees and other cover just like a texas rig or a jig. beefier line, hooks and plastics as well

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Aquarium said:

ive drop shotted in stained water, had some good luck flipping a drop shot to logs trees and other cover just like a texas rig or a jig. beefier line, hooks and plastics as well

This is a good point.  A lot of people think this isn't for shallow water fishing.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Some of the best dock fishing days I've had were messing around with a drop shot around docks.  Seems so backward but it worked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drscholl14 said:

This is a good point.  A lot of people think this isn't for shallow water fishing.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Some of the best dock fishing days I've had were messing around with a drop shot around docks.  Seems so backward but it worked.

its a great technique not used.  gota to think outside the box