LonnieP

Zodias, Avid X or Zillion

I'm looking at these 3 casting rods in medium power for throwing 3/16 to 1/4 ounce T rig plastics. I currently use a Loomis E6x mh/xf but I find it lacking in sensitivity for bottom contact baits. The Zillion is the best priced rod at 145 dollars. 

I have a couple Avid Xs and Avids and love them, blows the E6Xs out of the water IMO in terms of sensitivity, balance and overall quality. Never fished a Zillion or Zodias. Might I ask where you find Zillions for 145$?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JackKlassen said:

I have a couple Avid Xs and Avids and love them, blows the E6Xs out of the water IMO in terms of sensitivity, balance and overall quality. Never fished a Zillion or Zodias. Might I ask where you find Zillions for 145$?

I found a website called Tactical Wholesalers that has a 6’ 6 medium  listed at 145.26.I’ve never ordered from them though

I have a avid x 6'6 Mh-f casting rod, but I haven't actually fished with it yet. I have been practicing pitching inside for the winter and I can feel the rubber practice plug dragging on the smooth floor, so that should be a good indication of its sensitivity. The craftsmanship is outstanding, not a single flaw. It wouldn't be good for weightless plastics being a mh-f, but I bet the medium powered rod would be perfect for you. 

• Like 1

Avid X and Zillion have a better warranty than the Zodias.

its worth noting that the Zodias does not have a hook keeper. a lot of people order it and are ticked to find that its missing one.

My zodias is the most sensitive reliable rod I own. No hook keeper but most jdm rods don’t have hook keepers and although the zodias is not jdm it’s based as a jdm style build. Ordering a hook keeper is not a big deal unless you forget to order it when you get it home then yeah it can be annoying. 

• Like 2

I don’t care about the hook keeper. I don’t use them, I always put the hooks on the reel.

Avid and Avid X are great blanks with good sensitivity in their price point. I’d throw out one more option, the Kistler Helium 3 line, probably the 7’0” Light/Medium Heavy Fast for your purpose. If the 20% off sale is still running they’re in your price point if you’re looking at the Avids. 

Nothing against the Avid X or Zodias but if the Zillion for $145 is still available, I would jump all over that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kschultz76 said:

Avid and Avid X are great blanks with good sensitivity in their price point. I’d throw out one more option, the Kistler Helium 3 line, probably the 7’0” Light/Medium Heavy Fast for your purpose. If the 20% off sale is still running they’re in your price point if you’re looking at the Avids. 

I’ll have to check out the Kistler. Thanks

5 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Nothing against the Avid X or Zodias but if the Zillion for $145 is still available, I would jump all over that.

Yeah, it sounds like too good of a deal to pass up.

23 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

Avid X and Zillion have a better warranty than the Zodias.

Yeah, Shimano rods have very limited warranties on them, even the higher end ones like the Exprides. Not sure why they do this.

21 hours ago, JackKlassen said:

Yeah, Shimano rods have very limited warranties on them, even the higher end ones like the Exprides. Not sure why they do this.

I know a lot of people on her feel like after year anything that happens is on the owner. I just refuse to buy a rod over 100 without at least a 5 year warranty. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Zillion. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe I will get an Avid X in the near future.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LonnieP said:

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Zillion. It seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe I will get an Avid X in the near future.

Let me know how the service on that site is. Seems like it has a good amount of exceptional deals, almost too good to be true...

10 hours ago, JackKlassen said:

Let me know how the service on that site is. Seems like it has a good amount of exceptional deals, almost too good to be true...

Will do