I have searched the internet, forums (including this one), and cannot find an answer to the following question. 

I own a Pelican Bass Raider 10E and will be purchasing a 3.5 hp Mercury outboard motor for it, should I purchase the long or short shaft version and why?

I have seen a lot of opinions, but nothing by a boat owner as to why a particular shaft length would be the right choice. The motor will cost me $1050 CAD, so I want to get it right the first time. 

Looking forward to your responses, I hope :) 

Guarantee it's a short shaft, but if you want to triple check, ring the Pelican and ask. A short shaft goes on a 15" transom and a long shaft on a 20" transom, so the transom height is the determining factor. 

• Like 1

I did talk to Pelican and some chick with a heavy French accent couldn't understand my question and wouldn't forward me to an English speaking person. Two things I managed to get out of the conversation were that Pelican no longer manufactures the Bass Raider or other boats for that matter; and that I needed to call the motor manufacturer. Needless to say I eventually hung up. In western Canada we are often hopeful that Quebec will in fact separate :)

Thanks for the input. I am brand new at owning a boat, so my newbie question is, do I measure the height of where the motor would mount on the boat (assuming that is the transom) and if that distance is 15" than short, 20" than long, but what if its between 15" and 20" or that won't be an option?

I will measure it tomorrow and post a pic and a measurement. 

Cheers. 

The mounting plate is 7" long. The distance from the top of the mounting plate to the floor is 19" and the distance from the bottom of the mounting plate to the floor is 12". 

Anything on this thread that's any use to you? 

Your hull is a tunnel style hull, so the measurement to the bottom of the pontoon is less relevant. I still believe it is designed for a short shaft, but if you put a long shaft on it you wouldn't lose much except a little shallow water capability and a bit of efficiency.