Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Think I’ve narrowed it down to a few different crankbait rods, that I might double down as my top water rod as well. 

 

 looking at these 2 7’ crankbait Rods. I don’t do a ton of cranking but looking to get a dedicated rod as last year I lost a bunch. Will be throwing lipless rattle traps, shallow diving, generally 9’ and less, squarebill. And hoping to double down this rod for some top water minus frogs. What’s the opinion. Most likely be paired with a diawa tatula sv tw 6.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Champion extreme Dx 704c or dx 705c depending on weights youre looking to fish would be my choice. I dont like the imx lineup from g loomis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fishinthefish said:

Champion extreme Dx 704c or dx 705c depending on weights youre looking to fish would be my choice. I dont like the imx lineup from g loomis.

Thank you. Going down today to see if they still have the dobyns in stock. I might have to order it. What’s the reason you don’t like the imx lineup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns 705cb glass (or graphite if you prefer). Can throw anything from squarebills to medium divers to spooks, poppers, and smaller whopper ploppers. I also use it for jerkbaits in the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't speak for the crankbait rods but I have a Loomis IMX-Pro 853 JWR. I love this line of rods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

Thank you. Going down today to see if they still have the dobyns in stock. I might have to order it. What’s the reason you don’t like the imx lineup? 

Ive used at least one rod in the imx glx and rnx lineup. I love the nrx, feel the diffetence between the glx and nrx is neglegible at best so I also love that rod. But when I pick up the IMX series rods for the price point i just feel underwhelmed. I cant put my finger on what the exact one thing it is but believe its the balance between weight and sensitivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried the imx 

-pro?  I'm not going to argue about the second gen Imx, which received some negative reviews, but I figured Loomis took notice about this and corrected it.  The gen 1 imx and glx were neck and neck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fishinthefish said:

Ive used at least one rod in the imx glx and rnx lineup. I love the nrx, feel the diffetence between the glx and nrx is neglegible at best so I also love that rod. But when I pick up the IMX series rods for the price point i just feel underwhelmed. I cant put my finger on what the exact one thing it is but believe its the balance between weight and sensitivity.

Thank you sir, like KP Duty mention was it the imx or the imx pro. It as the pro I was looking at. Either way I’m pretty sure I’m going with a Dobyns Rod as everywhere I try and read there isn’t much said about the imx pro’s and what little information I find there’s even less about there crankbait rods. Everyone speaks so highly of dobyns crankbait rods. Plus it’s 60 dollars cheaper for the champion then the imx pro, and 200 200 dollars cheaper for the fury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Matt_3479 said:

Thank you sir, like KP Duty mention was it the imx or the imx pro. It as the pro I was looking at. Either way I’m pretty sure I’m going with a Dobyns Rod as everywhere I try and read there isn’t much said about the imx pro’s and what little information I find there’s even less about there crankbait rods. Everyone speaks so highly of dobyns crankbait rods. Plus it’s 60 dollars cheaper for the champion then the imx pro, and 200 200 dollars cheaper for the fury

Yeah I apologize. Ive owned an IMX a long time ago. But I have used a friends imx pro on a few trips and I was underwhelmed that was the rod I have been refering to in my review(the pro). I do have to ask, have you considered a custom rod? In that price point Mike could make you one hell of a cranking stick over at DVT? Thats not far off from what my rainshadow eternity jig and spinnerbait rod cost me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fishinthefish said:

Yeah I apologize. Ive owned an IMX a long time ago. But I have used a friends imx pro on a few trips and I was underwhelmed that was the rod I have been refering to in my review(the pro). I do have to ask, have you considered a custom rod? In that price point Mike could make you one hell of a cranking stick over at DVT? Thats not far off from what my rainshadow eternity jig and spinnerbait rod cost me.

Oh well that’s unfortunate. I’d love to try a real loomis rod but no one seems to be happy with the e6x and not too many people speak about the imx pro in any style and I can’t afford a glx and definitely not the nrx.

 

a custom rod never crossed my mind as I live in Canada and don’t know any custom rod builders. Never ventured that route. Hard enough finding good selections on rods like kistler and dobyns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

Oh well that’s unfortunate. I’d love to try a real loomis rod but no one seems to be happy with the e6x and not too many people speak about the imx pro in any style and I can’t afford a glx and definitely not the nrx.

 

a custom rod never crossed my mind as I live in Canada and don’t know any custom rod builders. Never ventured that route. Hard enough finding good selections on rods like kistler and dobyns

I wont argue against a custom, but I would love for you to fish a great Loomis.  Changed my fishing a while back (or maybe really 'enhanced' my fishing).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been overly impressed with Dobyns but the Champion crankbait rods are good. The exteme is too fast for a crankbait rod.

  I like the IMX more than the champion and fished the 802 a bunch for walking baits, flukes and stickbaits but I'm not sure the price is worth it for a moving bait rod.

 The E6X 843 crankbait rod is really good unless you just want to spend more, but I'm not sure it would make a topwater rod.

I throw the Denali Lithium 842cb a lot it's a great small squarebill, medium diving bait rod and works well with the yellow magic and 2 hook walking baits.

Bass have been throwing Rattle Traps ever since they were invented, It's just nature of the beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

Oh well that’s unfortunate. I’d love to try a real loomis rod but no one seems to be happy with the e6x and not too many people speak about the imx pro in any style and I can’t afford a glx and definitely not the nrx.

 

a custom rod never crossed my mind as I live in Canada and don’t know any custom rod builders. Never ventured that route. Hard enough finding good selections on rods like kistler and dobyns

For crankbaits I don’t like to spend money at that level.  I use a Sellus, Clarus and the most expensive is a Zodias.  Only bought the Zodias because it was on sale for 40% off.  I don’t have experience with the IMX Pro, but for the price we pay ( Canada) you might as well go GLX/NRX.  As for the E6X the crankbaits series I hear decent reviews.  Right now Sail has it on clearance for 192 CDN. The sole E6X I own surprised me, I bought the 843 MBR it is an awesome rod that is great all around and even used it as a jerkbait rod for the Pike Derby at Belwood.  I also own the IMX MBR same all around feel.  Love them both for tournaments for their versatility.  Sorry for going off topic, but in general I find these are my preferences for moving baits.  I wouldn’t pay more than 200 for a CB rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rangerjockey said:

I've never been overly impressed with Dobyns but the Champion crankbait rods are good. The exteme is too fast for a crankbait rod.

  I like the IMX more than the champion and fished the 802 a bunch for walking baits, flukes and stickbaits but I'm not sure the price is worth it for a moving bait rod.

 The E6X 843 crankbait rod is really good unless you just want to spend more, but I'm not sure it would make a topwater rod.

I throw the Denali Lithium 842cb a lot it's a great small squarebill, medium diving bait rod and works well with the yellow magic and 2 hook walking baits.

Bass have been throwing Rattle Traps ever since they were invented, It's just nature of the beast.

Thank you for your response. I was originally looking at the e6x 843 or the 845 but people were pushing me away from it saying it wasn’t the best rod for the money. I was pleasantly surprised by my e6x walleye spinning rod. At that price I probably wouldn’t double down as a top water and crankbait rod on the e6x.

 

1 hour ago, lmbfisherman said:

For crankbaits I don’t like to spend money at that level.  I use a Sellus, Clarus and the most expensive is a Zodias.  Only bought the Zodias because it was on sale for 40% off.  I don’t have experience with the IMX Pro, but for the price we pay ( Canada) you might as well go GLX/NRX.  As for the E6X the crankbaits series I hear decent reviews.  Right now Sail has it on clearance for 192 CDN. The sole E6X I own surprised me, I bought the 843 MBR it is an awesome rod that is great all around and even used it as a jerkbait rod for the Pike Derby at Belwood.  I also own the IMX MBR same all around feel.  Love them both for tournaments for their versatility.  Sorry for going off topic, but in general I find these are my preferences for moving baits.  I wouldn’t pay more than 200 for a CB rod.

 

Well the price of the dobyns I found on sale for 269.99 regular 310.00, and the imx pro is 370.00 which was more money then I wanted to spend but have been really looking st getting a nice loomis rod. The nrx is a 600 dollar rod so that’s way out of the price range. Double that of both the champion and almost double the imx. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt_3479 said:

Thank you for your response. I was originally looking at the e6x 843 or the 845 but people were pushing me away from it saying it wasn’t the best rod for the money. I was pleasantly surprised by my e6x walleye spinning rod. At that price I probably wouldn’t double down as a top water and crankbait rod on the e6x.

 

 

Well the price of the dobyns I found on sale for 269.99 regular 310.00, and the imx pro is 370.00 which was more money then I wanted to spend but have been really looking st getting a nice loomis rod. The nrx is a 600 dollar rod so that’s way out of the price range. Double that of both the champion and almost double the imx. 

 

370? Where?  Everywhere near me it is mid 400.  👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lmbfisherman said:

370? Where?  Everywhere near me it is mid 400.  👍

Sail as well. They just grabbed a few imx pro’s. The crankbait and I believe one jig and worm. How’s Belwood lake btw. Meaning to try it this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

Sail as well. They just grabbed a few imx pro’s. The crankbait and I believe one jig and worm. How’s Belwood lake btw. Meaning to try it this year?

Last year was the first time I fished it at the Derby. Fished it before, just not a great fishery.  Guelph Lake in my opinion is far superior. If you’re coming from your location in my opinion it isn’t worth the drive.  I’d fish the Grand or even would rather fish Mountsberg or Kelso than go to Belwood.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

Last year was the first time I fished it at the Derby. Fished it before, just not a great fishery.  Guelph Lake in my opinion is far superior. If you’re coming from your location in my opinion it isn’t worth the drive.  I’d fish the Grand or even would rather fish Mountsberg or Kelso than go to Belwood.  

Well thank you very much. I’ve never fished Guelph or the grand either but was meaning to try it. Have had decent luck at moutsberg and kelso. Been making the trip to Conestoga lake as well and have had decent luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you prefer the 705cb or the 705cb glass? I found the glass on sale at the local store but the graphite is sold out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 12:44 PM, Matt_3479 said:

Think I’ve narrowed it down to a few different crankbait rods, that I might double down as my top water rod as well. 

 

 looking at these 2 7’ crankbait Rods. I don’t do a ton of cranking but looking to get a dedicated rod as last year I lost a bunch. Will be throwing lipless rattle traps, shallow diving, generally 9’ and less, squarebill. And hoping to double down this rod for some top water minus frogs. What’s the opinion. Most likely be paired with a diawa tatula sv tw 6.3

 

Just my two cents here, but why not match that Tatula  reel to a Daiwa Elite signature crankin  rod? 

I just matched my Tatula CT type R (8:3) to one of the 7' elite signature crankin rods and it's nicely balanced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LadiMopar said:

 

Just my two cents here, but why not match that Tatula  reel to a Daiwa Elite signature crankin  rod? 

I just matched my Tatula CT type R (8:3) to one of the 7' elite signature crankin rods and it's nicely balanced.

 

I’ve never considered the Daiwa rods to be honest with you. Never fished one before and don’t hear to much about it. 

 

There is a guy local selling a 7’2” zillion crankbait rod in excellent shape. Maybe worth taking a look at then 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

I’ve never considered the Daiwa rods to be honest with you. Never fished one before and don’t hear to much about it. 

 

There is a guy local selling a 7’2” zillion crankbait rod in excellent shape. Maybe worth taking a look at then 

You could always contact Mike at Delaware valley tackle. Hes a site sponsor and I can personally vouch for. He may ship to Cananda as he is out of New York. He has shipped to Illinois and Georgia for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Fishinthefish said:

You could always contact Mike at Delaware valley tackle. Hes a site sponsor and I can personally vouch for. He may ship to Cananda as he is out of New York. He has shipped to Illinois and Georgia for me.

Normally the shipping costs are out of this world crossing the border or I would’ve taken advantage many deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-31 at 5:50 PM, LadiMopar said:

 

Just my two cents here, but why not match that Tatula  reel to a Daiwa Elite signature crankin  rod? 

I just matched my Tatula CT type R (8:3) to one of the 7' elite signature crankin rods and it's nicely balanced.

 

How is the tatula crankin rod? I just bought the zillion this morning and it’s way faster then I would of expected. To be honest I’m not sure if it’s excatly what I’m looking for. I love the feel and look of the rod just seems super fast for a regular(moderate) action rod. Only reason I still took it was due to the fact it was too good of a price. Wondering if the tatula was the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt_3479 said:

How is the tatula crankin rod? I just bought the zillion this morning and it’s way faster then I would of expected. To be honest I’m not sure if it’s excatly what I’m looking for. I love the feel and look of the rod just seems super fast for a regular(moderate) action rod. Only reason I still took it was due to the fact it was too good of a price. Wondering if the tatula was the same

Haven't had mine on the water yet but I should get a chance to try it out in the next day or two. Mine is an elite signature series, 7' med/heavy and it's supposed to be slow reaction. It surely feels like it will perform as expected when giving the line a good tug, but we'll see if that's true.

Will happily report back after putting it through its paces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×