Nikob1995

Where to find these cold water bass????

I have been searching for them for 2 days now and can’t find them. The water temp is 43 degrees I’ve searched deep and shallow. I’ll attach a pic of the lake but I really need help on where they might be? A local tournament was just held on this lake and nobody caught anything. 

8D7C2C53-9E05-43B9-9D0C-C475C5BF0A4C.jpeg

What are the water temps, primary forage type in the lake?

This lake won't "turn on" til the water temps hit 48-52degrees. You may get lucky and catch a few but don't hold your breath. You can,however, catch tiger muskie there right now. In fact three were caught during the tournament you mentioned. One on my boat in fact. We didn't fish this tournament thinking there would be any big bags brought to the scales but we certainly didn't expect to have the entire field blank. We fished it because the lake that was originally scheduled for the day was still frozen so we switched to Silver since it was open water.

If it has smallmouth but even large mouth throw a silver buddy or something similar.

As far as where they are. Fish were marked @ 20' and deeper Down to the 60 and 70' holes in front of the rock cliffs. Go just past the lighthouse to the next point, the is a hump there, 25' on one side, 35' on the other with the top of the table sitting in 10-14'. As soon as the water warms up a bit more they will be sitting there feeding on perch. Also, once water temps are up to about 55 degrees start heading south to the spawning flats, the edge of that flat is about 8' deep and drops(to the north) to 17' that ledge is the waiting room so to speak. The day the water breaks over 60 degrees and rising start fishing that shallow flat. That's the recipe for Silver Lake. Every... Single...year

I'm likein' those points at the entrance to the bay with the island in the NE corner.  I'd be throwing jigs and slow rolling spinnerbaits.......knowing that I'd be fishing all day for one or two strikes and hoping I was ready. :o

Does this natural lake freeze over?

There is a interesting small point with a small island located near the bottom of the map on the right side where Silver Lake is printed. This shallow point is 5' then drops off to 35'. Bass will locate there is baitfish are present.

The deepest water is along the left side wall to 70' and bass could also hold tight to this wall. Drop shot, Rapala Ice jigs and structure spoons should work at the depth you Meter baitfish.

Tom

@WRB yes it freezes over. The point you're talking about is sort of mis represented in the map the OP posted. It's actually a small peninsula that creates a small bay, the open water side of the peninsula is a pretty good spot. The 70' area you mentioned is also a great spot, shear vertical cliffs rise straight out of the water there, at about three feet below the surface they begin the sharp drop down with the first 15' or so of that being good chunk rock. Good eye sir!!

• Like 1

There is also a classic deep winter hump just below the small point by the other Silver Lake label that should hold winter predators and baitfish, the spot may have dominate Tiger Muskies located there. I would this check hump out, looks like maybe 35' on top?

The reason I ask is if the lake freezes the LMB must find warmer water deep or any springs to survive during the frozen period. LMB can only go shallower slowly, about 10' a week and still retain neutral bouncy, it's a slow process. 

Tom

• Like 1

@WRB once again you nailed it. If you look at this lake on navionics, that spot is very close to a marker nicknamed "jaws"... For good reason, haha

I am thinking you have to go deeper. Maybe drop shotting deep. I have only fished Silver later in the year. That was kind of funny that not person caught a fish. Saw that online and couldn't believe it. 

On 3/31/2018 at 2:50 PM, Swbass15 said:

What are the water temps, primary forage type in the lake?

Trout, bluegill, perch

Try reading a thread "Can't find cold water bass"  on the same Silver Lake in this forum!

Tom

• Like 1

Duplicate threads have been merged.

9 hours ago, Dvo509 said:

I am thinking you have to go deeper. Maybe drop shotting deep. I have only fished Silver later in the year. That was kind of funny that not person caught a fish. Saw that online and couldn't believe it. 

Trout, bluegill, perch

No trout in silver, there was years ago. None left and they don't stock it