Jump to content
Brett's_daddy

Berkley Lightning Rod Shock casting rod

Recommended Posts

Okay, so I picked up a few of these from my local Wal-Mart because they were on clearance for $9. I have a 7ft. MH, 6'6" MH and a 6'6" M. Do these rods run true to their power? Higher? Lower? What techniques would each of these rods be best suited for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 7' MH and the power seems correct. I use that rod for practically everything, from wacky worms to spinnerbaits/buzzbaits to small swimbaits. It is a very versatile rod. An awesome one at the price that you got it for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have to make a trip to my local walmart for that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have a 6'6 m as a backup squarebill rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRT said:

I may have to make a trip to my local walmart for that price.

My local Walmart doesn't carry them.

 

OP,  hopefully ww2farmer will reply.  He is quite familiar with the Shocks.  Too bad my local Walmart doesn't carry them.  At that price I could overlook the rod's color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the 7' MH casting rod. I planned on using it for frogs. I ended up giving it to my son & bought a Dobyns 735. It did seem like a decent rod for the price though (I paid $22). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

My local Walmart doesn't carry them.

 

OP,  hopefully ww2farmer will reply.  He is quite familiar with the Shocks.  Too bad my local Walmart doesn't carry them.  At that price I could overlook the rod's color.

Yeah, the color isn't something I'm overly fond of but I don't hate it either and for $9 I can certainly live with it as long as the rod performs well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, optimator said:

I bought the 7' MH casting rod. I planned on using it for frogs. I ended up giving it to my son & bought a Dobyns 735. It did seem like a decent rod for the price though (I paid $22). 

Love Dodyns rods I got 3, more to come 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that Berkeley Shock 6'6 Medium Baitcasting Rod is a solid budget rod for Squarebills, when rigged with Monofilament or Fluorocarbon line. Note: these were designed exclusively for braided line, but when paired with mono it's works fairly well with square bills. Definitely fishes closer to a Medium Heavy. Also the Shock 7' is Faster action and the 6'6 is labeled a moderate fast

6 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

Okay, so I picked up a few of these from my local Wal-Mart because they were on clearance for $9. I have a 7ft. MH, 6'6" MH and a 6'6" M. Do these rods run true to their power? Higher? Lower? What techniques would each of these rods be best suited for?

Also are all the Walmarts putting these at $9 Clearance pricing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For $9 buy them all.

 

I have everyone of those rods you bought.

 

The MH run a little on the heavy side of MH, and have a fast action, with a touch of moderate to them. I use them for frogs, swim jigs, chatterbaits, larger 2.5 size and up square bills, ripping 1/2 oz. lipless cranks out of grass, 1/2 oz. blade baits for smallmouth, dragging 1/2 + 3/4 oz wobble head jigs. And in a pinch they can pitch jigs, t-rigs around just fine. Sensitivity, to me, is not an issue with these rods. It's actually quite good paired with braid.

 

The M power rod is what I would call a true medium. It's also a fast action leaning a little to the mod./fast side. I use it target casting 1.5 size squarbills around laydowns/docks/etc....suspending jerkbaits, treble hooked top waters, soft plastic jerkbaits, and pitching little jigs and t-rigs into tight spots that are too light for H or MH gear, yet I need the power and bigger line a casting rig gives me over spinning tackle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Active_Outdoors said:

Yes that Berkeley Shock 6'6 Medium Baitcasting Rod is a solid budget rod for Squarebills, when rigged with Monofilament or Fluorocarbon line. Note: these were designed exclusively for braided line, but when paired with mono it's works fairly well with square bills. Definitely fishes closer to a Medium Heavy. Also the Shock 7' is Faster action and the 6'6 is labeled a moderate fast

Also are all the Walmarts putting these at $9 Clearance pricing?

Not sure if every Walmart has them at this price. Oddly enough the spinning version of these rods are still at the $39.96 price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tip has fiberglass blended in, so it will always be a little softer and slower in that section. They seem to fish a little heavier than rated throughout the mid and butt of the blank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i own 3 shocks, all are 7’ MH and i aint ashamed to admit it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×