DN3

Daiwa Tatula Type R vs CT Type R

Is there much of a performance difference between the older Daiwa Tatula Type R and the newer Tatula CT Type R?  Got a great deal on one of the older Tatula Type R (new in box) reels, wondering if I should have spent the few extra bucks and gone with the newer CT Type R? 

Just now, DN3 said:

Is there much of a performance difference between the older Daiwa Tatula Type R and the newer Tatula CT Type R?  Got a great deal on one of the older Tatula Type R (new in box) reels, wondering if I should have spent the few extra bucks and gone with the newer CT Type R? 

I have 6 Tats including a few of the originals, the ct, sv and the Ct type R,  All are smooth as silk EXCEPT the CT R which feels a little geary. Love them and will get a few more but they will not be the Ct Type R.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DN3 said:

Honestly if the regular Tatula Type R feels good in your hand, and not "too big" then you got the right version for you. The advantage you're really getting with the CT Type R is the smaller frame. I'd argue the original tatula's would probably cast better/longer because of the slightly larger spool, but that's just an assumption. 

You're not really missing out on anything with the CT version other than a more compact body and thus a lighter weight. Personally, I had the first tatula for a long time and always felt it was a little 'chunky' to palm.. then the CT's came out and I switched because they felt more comfortable to me. It's really just personal preference. They both are proven workhorse reels. 

• Like 1

I couldn't notice any real difference in performance. The CT was more comfortable to palm, but I never really though the OG was that cumbersome. 

9 hours ago, onenutinthewater said:

I have 6 Tats including a few of the originals, the ct, sv and the Ct type R,  All are smooth as silk EXCEPT the CT R which feels a little geary. Love them and will get a few more but they will not be the Ct Type R.

Bingo - same experience, 3 tats...2 originals, 1 CT, the CT is "geary" after 2 seasons of use, and even after a professional deep clean. I started going with the SV TW which doesn't cast as far, but is super quiet and smooth.