iceintheveins

Boat gets on plane for a little while, then dies

I noticed today my primer bulb was having a hard time staying firm. I could get it firm, then get on plane, and then the motor would die after a few hundred yards. Hopefully I just new a new primer bulb and fuel line? Or is it something worse?

I'd check the fuel filter first - sounds like a clog.

• Like 1

Little blue pill???

• Haha 3

I couldn't get the bulb to pump up when I got home either. On a hunch, I switched the fuel tank switch. Then it pumped right up. Fingers crossed that was the problem.

3 hours ago, iceintheveins said:

I couldn't get the bulb to pump up when I got home either. On a hunch, I switched the fuel tank switch. Then it pumped right up. Fingers crossed that was the problem.

Hmmm, sounds like the vent for that tank might be plugged.  Open the filler cap for that tank and see if the primer works.

• Like 1

Several years ago I had the same problem and it was the primer bulb. My boat only has one fuel tank. Last year I had to take my boat to the dealer to get a water pump put in it. While it was there they called and said the fuel lines needed to be replaced. The fuel lines I had could be damaged by ethanol and the replacement lines ethanol would not damage. You might need to check this out. Hope this helps.

Boat worked perfectly today. Maybe my other tank was empty, but I'll still check into what has been sugggestes here.