When I spool my reels I go through the holes on the spool to lighten the spool up and tie it to there so I know my line doesnt slip. Any one else do this?  I know its not necessarily right but been doing a few seasons with no problems.  Opinions on it? Has anyone done it and had failure? I am talking about baitcasters to just so we are all on the same page. 

Yes, on reels that have them I tie through them. 

Never had a problem and don't expect one. 

You're good 

Mike

• Like 1

I do this with braid every time if it's available and don't use backing. If it's mono I just use an arbor knot.

• Like 1

I have done the same with all my baitcasters with whiffle spools.

I recently bought my first baitcaster where the spool has no holes. It was a new experience for me to attach the line on that one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I have done the same with all my baitcasters with whiffle spools.

I recently bought my first baitcaster where the spool has no holes. It was a new experience for me to attach the line on that one.

What I've always done for solid spools is to tie a loop in the end of the line and then fish it out from under the spool with a small crochet hook. I also keep that small crochet hook in one of my tackle bags. That thing has got me out of more than one backlash that should have needed to be cut out! 

• Like 2

If the spool has holes use them to tie to, if not use the arbor knot.

Tom

• Like 2

I prefer to use the arbor knot. If braid is my main line, I will use a mono backing. I think I spend less time tying the arbor knot than I do trying to put the line through the whiffle holes, lol. 

• Like 1

Yes I also like to use arbor knot with or without hole. I think I can tie arbor knot pretty quick with either braid or mono. I never have problem of line slipping and most of my reels got braid backing.

• Like 1