rtwvumtneer6

Curado 200k side plate WONT LATCH!

Just spent 20 minutes trying to close the side plate on my curado 200k after making a simple brake adjustment.

It seems like if the end nearest the thumb bar is flush, the end closest to the external dial is off, and come versa.

Worked out of the box, casted only a few times and has been hanging on my rod rack. I'm baffled. HELP!!! 

If it is anything like curado I, You have to release that tension spool knob a whole lot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustJames said:

If it is anything like curado I, You have to release that tension spool knob a whole lot.

Attempted that, and even removed the spool. Did not work...

16 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Took me 15 minutes to figure this out once.

20 minutes ago, Vilas15 said:

Took me 15 minutes to figure this out once.

I'm on an hour plus of searching online and trying everything under the sun... And supposed to take it out to use tomorrow 😓

Check on brake blocks one might be in the way.

3 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I've tried with them all "on" and all "off".  Is that what you mean? Or is there something else I can do? 

Sorry if that's a silly questions but this is my first Shimano and a new braking system to me. 

Edited by rtwvumtneer6
Add on

I'm not sure if I can be a lot of help. I don't have any reels in front of me. I think your problem is spool not sit in right, I would remove tension spool knob, try to fit spool in flush and try to close side plate. You can also try to fit spool into side plate and see if the brake block can fit in brass ring without any interfering. 

1 minute ago, JustJames said:

I'm not sure if I can be a lot of help. I don't have any reels in front of me. I think your problem is spool not sit in right, I would remove tension spool knob, try to fit spool in flush and try to close side plate. You can also try to fit spool into side plate and see if the brake block can fit in brass ring without any interfering. 

I've taken the spool completely out of the reel and it still does not lock closed. 

Thanks @JustJames for trying! 

Did you make sure the lash to open your side plate is not on close position?

5 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Did you make sure the lash to open your side plate is not on close position?

Yea..

26 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I've tried with them all "on" and all "off".  Is that what you mean? Or is there something else I can do? 

All of mine are the exact same way. It's a design characteristic of the i and the k series. 

The tension knob has to be loosened, then click the spool closed... Then you need to retighten the cast control knob. I fumbled around with this when I was new to these reels too. But after a couple of times you'll get used to it. Not a big deal. 

Unless of course you broke it lol. Which I'm sure you didn't. 

I don't know now man, I wish I could help more but those are simple diagnoses for shimano reel. Your might be defective or someone with the same problem might be able to help more.

May be spring where the sideplate attached to frame not in place?

20 minutes ago, Poolshark said:

All of mine are the exact same way. It's a design characteristic of the i and the k series. 

The tension knob has to be loosened, then click the spool closed... Then you need to retighten the cast control knob. I fumbled around with this when I was new to these reels too. But after a couple of times you'll get used to it. Not a big deal. 

Unless of course you broke it lol. Which I'm sure you didn't. 

Thanks @Poolshark but here's a curve ball... It won't latch even if I remove the spool...

13 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Dumb question but did you move the latch on the sideplate to closed by mistake after you opened it?

No, of it's in the "close" position it won't close at all. Seems like it's "locks" in 3 places that I can see and something is keeping the latch from rotating 

Have you tried pushing on the side plate with more distributed pressure? Like hold both sides of the side plate down and try to latch it.

• Like 1

So the actual latch is frozen but it sits flush?  I'm stumped if that's the case, there must be something lodged in there.  I'm looking at mine and I can't imagine how this happened.  

Good luck, sorry to hear about that.

5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So the actual latch is frozen but it sits flush?  I'm stumped if that's the case, there must be something lodged in there.  I'm looking at mine and I can't imagine how this happened.  

Good luck, sorry to hear about that.

With the side plate open, the latch opens and closes properly. When I close the side plate the latch moves just enough to keep it closed, but will not lock into place.  If I palm the reel or even bump it the side plate pops open 

You either slightly bent one of the fins or there is something in the way.  I'm actually trying to simulate the same thing and I can't.

11 minutes ago, Maverick said:

You either slightly bent one of the fins or there is something in the way.  I'm actually trying to simulate the same thing and I can't.

I'm trying to figure out how something would have happened.... In fact tomorrow was the first time I was going to.fosh it hard. Spooled it, threw it around to get a general setting for the brakes and put it on the rack. Glad I checked before I was on the water. 

Not sure what to do next... But I don't want to break anything further if it needs replaced.

@Maxximus Redneckus good thought. Didn't work. Seems like something isnt lining up. Not sure what else to do but turn to the warranty and wait...🤔

I feel for you, tomorrow is opening day at my spot and I'm inspecting all my reels.  You've got me paranoid.

Well if anything this is a great example of why everyone needs multiple set ups.  

Well, unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to use it today, but I probably won't be sending it in until Monday so of anyone else has.any ideas, let me know! 

Seems like you've tried just about everything.. My guess is there is something bent or broken somewhere - although something could just be stuck. I would check to see where things connect and see if there is a spring or something out of place or in the way