Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone use a Shimano Zodias 7'2" Heavy? Just saw one in a shop while traveling and picked it up. It feels really light. Was thinking of using it as a frogging rod.  Anyone else have one? What do you use it for and what reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Burros said:

Get it!

He got it.  :teeth:  Now he wants to know what to use it for.

 

OP:  Sorry.  No experience with the Zodias line.  They get excellent reviews.  I assume jigs would be another option.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a heavy I have a m spinning but I would pair it with a curado k or a chronarch mgl 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. I can see how my wording indicated that I picked it up in the store and felt it was light. I did actually buy it.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if I read this correctly but you are in the market for a cranking rod correct? Well anyhow if so I would check out the Powell endurance  glass composite. I have a mhf e6x that I’m actually going to sell to replace it with a Powell endurance I prefer glass for cranking personaly. Having had a Powell glass rod in the past I know they are good quality tuff and light. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What?  Frogs in MA can't swim on ice or snow?  :P

 

I have an "A" model from the unmentionable company.  I really like how it feels on a rod.  You could also check out a Daiwa Alphas...or a Pixy if the Alphas feels too big.  Lew's is another option to try on your rod.  Not sure which is the smallest.

 

With the Avid X you are in territory beyond my budget unless buying used or on closeout.  I did splurge on myself for Christmas and bought two ALX rods on sale.  Neither were a cranking rod.  I find it hard to spend that kind of money on a crankbait rod.  Not that I wouldn't love to be able to.  :teeth:

 

Thanks to a fellow member I have a Dobyns 704CB Glass.  Like it a lot.  Good luck finding what is right for you.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I'm in the market for a new cranking rod too.  I prefer glass too.  I'll check out the Powell and the Dobyns 740cb glass. Thanks for the suggestions! No snow today. Just rain and temps in the low 30's! Just love this New England weather.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Zodias 7'2" heavy with a Tatula 200 7.3:1

I really like it.  But I've only be pitching to heavy slop for 2 years ... so I'm no seasoned pro.  :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Kawartha Angler said:

I have the Zodias 7'2" heavy with a Tatula 200 7.3:1

I really like it.  But I've only be pitching to heavy slop for 2 years ... so I'm no seasoned pro.  :)

Thanks for the reply! What line are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 year warranty with that price.... I’ll pass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own 5 Zodias rods.  I don’t have the Heavy, but yes they are little stiffer, I don’t see an issue using it for Frogs.  In fact although I don’t Frog a lot I use a MH F Veritas and works just fine.  Regarding reels a Chronarch Ci4 balanced well enough or Core.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LxVE Bassin said:

1 year warranty with that price.... I’ll pass!

Most of the time when buying a rod that’s 200 bucks with a long or life time warranty your actualy paying for  the warranty that’s why the rod is so expensive I don’t focus to much on warranty. Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Burros said:

Most of the time when buying a rod that’s 200 bucks with a long or life time warranty your actualy paying for  the warranty that’s why the rod is so expensive I don’t focus to much on warranty. Just my opinion.

To each is own my brother. If im paying for a warranty it’s worth it to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LxVE Bassin said:

To each is own my brother. If im paying for a warranty it’s worth it to me. 

I understand what you’re saying, however most likely after a year or season of fishing a new rod.  Most likely any rod breakage afterwards is user error.  Also I’ve known a couple people even though the warranties were out Shimano still replaced them.  Plus I’m not sure why you brought this up, no offence why or how your reply was relevant to the thread?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

I own 5 Zodias rods.  I don’t have the Heavy, but yes they are little stiffer, I don’t see an issue using it for Frogs.  In fact although I don’t Frog a lot I use a MH F Veritas and works just fine.  Regarding reels a Chronarch Ci4 balanced well enough or Core.

Thanks for the reply! I really am liking this rod and I think I will also buy the 6'10" MH for jigs. Do you happen to have one of the glass models? I am thinking of buying the 7' medium glass model. Haven't seen many review on the glass. Would love to hear your thoughts on that model. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Crankin4Bass said:

Thanks for the reply! I really am liking this rod and I think I will also buy the 6'10" MH for jigs. Do you happen to have one of the glass models? I am thinking of buying the 7' medium glass model. Haven't seen many review on the glass. Would love to hear your thoughts on that model. Thanks!

I have that rod yes.  At first I didn’t like it and usually I buy lower end for cranking rods (Shimano Sellus and Clarus).  It grew on me though, I primarily use it for squarebills and works well.  I also think it’s more a MH Crankbait rod, should keep that in mind also.  It could handle baits my Sellus MH CB rod can handle, which is my medium depth cb rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, lmbfisherman said:

I have that rod yes.  At first I didn’t like it and usually I buy lower end for cranking rods (Shimano Sellus and Clarus).  It grew on me though, I primarily use it for squarebills and works well.  I also think it’s more a MH Crankbait rod, should keep that in mind also.  It could handle baits my Sellus MH CB rod can handle, which is my medium depth cb rod.

Thanks for your insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×