i am looking to buy a 14' Smoker Craft and trailer for $300. The boat and trailer may not have a title. If I get a bill of sale, can I get a title for the boat and trailer? Also, if I want to resell the boat after I fix it up, should I even bother to register it?

What I want to know is if I purchase this boat (live in PA), will I be able to use it legally?

4 minutes ago, Quarry Man said:

i am looking to buy a 14' Smoker Craft and trailer for $300. The boat and trailer may not have a title. If I get a bill of sale, can I get a title for the boat and trailer? Also, if I want to resell the boat after I fix it up, should I even bother to register it?

What I want to know is if I purchase this boat (live in PA), will I be able to use it legally?

you have to check the state laws. each state is different. 

Here in Kansas you have to register your boat, but the state does not title the boat or motor.

Kansas also does not require a trailer to  be registered, if the total weight is under 2000 lbs.

If you have to register an untitled trailer, most states allow it to be registered under a homemade or custom trailer provision.

I just called a local registration office and they told me I need a notarized bill of sale, original registration card, and title on order to register the boat.

Here in WV, several years ago boats weren't title and the very first boat I purchased was one and i had to, sooo

I had to get the bill of sale notarized and have a State Trooper come to my house to inspect, once he approved it, he gave me a paper that I used to get a serial number plate and then licence. It took awhile, but I got it.

Like I said, it's been years ago.

The owner should be able to get a duplicate title from the fish and game commission. At least that was how it was back when I lived in PA.

• Thanks 1

Really?  its called google, you use it. google this phrase PA Boat registration. 

• Sad 2

Around here you have to go to the county clerks office to license and register a boat. You might need to check with them about this. A Weedwhacker said laws vary from state to state.

• Thanks 1

The PA Fish and Boat Commission is the agency you register a boat with in PA, which is still the same as it was when I lived there back in the 1990's.  He can contact them and get a replacement title.

• Thanks 1