I want to learn to fish a drop shot.  What do you recommend as far as a good spinning rod/reel combo. I'd like to keep the total cost to $200 or less. 

1. Rod/Reel Brand and model

2. Rod length/action/power

3.Line size(I plan on using either fluro or mono)

A little info about where I fish, to help with your recommendations. Mostly wood and grass.  Largemouth or spotted bass only(no smallies).  Water clarity a maximum of about 4', average clarity 2'ish.

Thanks in advance.

Okuma EVX 6'10" Med/Fast w/ Epixor reel.  That'll leave you funds for some good Tatsu FC line.  I prefer 6# for drop shot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Okuma EVX 6'10" Med/Fast w/ Epixor reel.  That'll leave you funds for some good Tatsu FC line.  I prefer 6# for drop shot.

Thanks Francho.  Question, I fish around a lot of wood and grass.  Do you think I should upgrade to 8 or 10# or will the loss of lure action be affected to much by the larger line diameter?

For medium cover, I like the braid and leader setup.  I would't too much more than 8# for the leader, but use 15-20 for braid.  Deep drops in clear water, straight fluoro. 

• Thanks 1

I would normally use a ML/XF rod with 10-15lb braid and a 6lb leader for dropshot, but I largely fish it in clear water and not in the grass but maybe on the edges. If you're fishing it around a lot of grass then I would step up to a M/F rod with 15Lb braid and a 8lb leader.

As for what t buy, you might be able to find a St. Croix Mojo Bass and a Daiwa BG (I'd with with a 2000) for around your price range, which would be a good setup.

• Thanks 1

I went with a shimano sahara 2500 during an ebay sale and paired it up with a favorite USA balance 7'3" ML. Absolutely love it so far for drop shot and wacky jig finesse worms. Works ok for light shakey heads too. 

I throw 20lb power pro original with 6lb YZH. All in I'd say I got about $160 into the combo. 

• Thanks 1

I fish the same conditions and use a St Croix Mojo Bass 6'8 m-xf spinning rod with a Pflueger President XT 30 spooled with 10 lb yellow braid and an 8lb fluorocarbon leader. Vmc size 1 drop shot hook.

Next time I might use 15lb braid for a little more reassurance but it works well so far. 

• Thanks 1

I drop shot with a couple spinning rigs.

My main combo is a Daiwa Aird-X 7' M, with a Daiwa Revros 2000, 10lb braid, and 6 or 8lb FC leaders. This is a very very good rod for the money, but it fishes more like a ML power than a true M. I use this rod around sparse grass, or open water.

Around thicker grass, I go to my 6'8" custom built M/XF rod built on a Batson blank, pared with a Daiwa Revros 2500, 10lb braid, and 8 or 10lb FC leaders. This rod is very very similar to a St Croix Mojo 6'8" M/XF spinning rod, in fact, other than cosmetics, they fish almost the same. I would giver the St Croix a tiny edge in power.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info everyone.  Just an update.  I ended up getting the Okuma EVX rod, paired it with a PENN Fierce II 3000 that was on sale at academy and Seaguar InvizX 8lb Fluro.  So far its great,  I've used it twice and already picked up several nice bass, as well as the biggest bluegill I have ever caught in my life.