LionHeart

Trolling motor for 8ft. Sun Dolphin

Hey guys, I just got a really sweet deal on a little 8 ft Sun Dolphin plastic pontoon boat from Bass Pro.  If anyone is thinking about getting one, I can tell you how to save a bit of cash on it.  

I'm trying to decide on the right trolling motor for this thing.  Is this one of those "get the biggest you can afford" times?  I'm kinda stuck between a 40 and 55 lb thrust.  Would a 55 lb be worth the extra $?  

I'm super excited to fish this thing.  Thanks.

If it was me I'd probably go for the 55lb and bow mount it. It's easy to flip the handle around on them so I'd also have to do that mod. I guess in the end it really depends on how fast you want to move around and if the $ difference is worth it too you. Guess you could purchase the 40lb one at a place that will accept a return if it's not enough for you.

• Like 1

I would go with 55..I had a 36 on my Pond Prowler and it felt like I was barely moving when the wind got up and the water got a little choppy. I'm much happier now with the 55.

Thanks for the reply man.  Going to look at a 50 lb thrust tomorrow.  It's a deal I can't pass up.  

Now to batteries.  Since a trolling motor will be my only propulsion, I want plenty of power without having to buy a battery that weighs 60 lbs.  I'm thinking about buying two 40 AH batteries that weigh 20 lbs each.  That way, if I know I'm going on a short trip, I only have to bring a single 20 lb battery, and for longer trips I can bring both.  

Also if one goes down, I will have a spare.  In your experience, does this sound like a plan? Or should I just suck it up and buy a single massive battery? 60 lbs sounds pretty rough to be dragging through some of the areas I plan to fish.

49 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Thanks for the reply man.  Going to look at a 50 lb thrust tomorrow.  It's a deal I can't pass up.  

Now to batteries.  Since a trolling motor will be my only propulsion, I want plenty of power without having to buy a battery that weighs 60 lbs.  I'm thinking about buying two 40 AH batteries that weigh 20 lbs each.  That way, if I know I'm going on a short trip, I only have to bring a single 20 lb battery, and for longer trips I can bring both.  

Also if one goes down, I will have a spare.  In your experience, does this sound like a plan? Or should I just suck it up and buy a single massive battery? 60 lbs sounds pretty rough to be dragging through some of the areas I plan to fish.

Get as much battery as possible. Because whatever you think will be enough, won't ever be enough. Most of the time we don't turn on the gas motor and only use the trolling motor and we pack 3 giant interstate batteries in our boat at a time. Just in case. Because I promise it sucks a lot paddling back in a monsoon when we could've trolled back 10 minutes previously

• Like 1

Ahhh, Croak I hear what you're say'n and I'm really on the fence.  The piece of mind would be nice but 60 lbs is a lot to hump to some of these remote places.  

Academy has a decent sale on batteries.  Gonna go today on lunch break and check them out.  If I feel that the 60 lbs is manageable, I'll go with the big boy.  Thanks for the advice.