waymont

Tell me your idea of a MH casting rod

What do you people say?

When you think of a medium heavy casting rod, which of the below descriptions are you thinking of?

I'm not talking about technique specific rods more general purpose rods.

The approximate ranges below:

10-17lb line 1/4-3/4oz lures or

12-20lb line 1/4oz-1oz lures

To me a MH rod would probably be more of the first outlined rod. IMO a MH rod is good for a 3/8 jig with a trailer and maybe 1/2 oz but that would be beginning to overload the blank.

No consistency. 

I have MH's with ratings from 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz. 

You really have to look at the rod as a whole. 

Mike

• Like 2

The second one...definitely. That's roughly the ratings of my Vengeance 66-6.

The first is a "G Loomis MH", the second would be a "most every other MH I have tried". 

Three out of my five MH rods are rated 1/4 - 1 oz., with my Kistlers being my favorites.

My medium Veritases fish a lot like my non Abu MH rods...

For me it’s any MH-fast St. Croix, stiffer than most and rated to 1 oz. I have tons of them.

Lews tp-1 mh Is my idea of one. A little  stouter than some but yet very versatile. Topwater, spinnerbaits, bladed jigs, pitching jigs with trailers, senkos. A rod that can handle superline hooks but also medium wire work hooks when using copoly or fluoro

Based on purely ratings, the first specification to me is a traditional MH bass rod. The second should be called MHH or something.

However, some of the heavier rods may have more flex than you think.

15 hours ago, waymont said:

What do you people say?

When you think of a medium heavy casting rod, which of the below descriptions are you thinking of?

I'm not talking about technique specific rods more general purpose rods.

The approximate ranges below:

10-17lb line 1/4-3/4oz lures or

12-20lb line 1/4oz-1oz lures

When I think of a MH rod (or any other power or action for that matter) I think of the actual performance and characteristics of that rod. The numbers and labels are all over the place and often don't tell a coherent story. I bet it would be fairly easy to find several rods rated for lighter lures and lines that fishes stiffer than one with higher weight ratings, and vise versa. There are no industry standards (and sometimes no consistency within one manufacturer) so what I do is bring a reel along and lace up any stick I'm considering, or if there is a carpeted floor, check the bend on it. 

I love my MH Daiwa tatula rated 1/4-3/4 oz. I can cast with this rod as light as SP65 and as heavy as WP110 and can handle 3/8 jig with ease.

To me, a MH should toss 1/4 fairly well and start to feel strained at just over an ounce.  I am starting to balk at rod power ratings, lure ratings as well for that matter.  

Will not buy a rod without handling it and deciding for myself what it feels like.