Fishingintheweeds

Trying to work on my approach in thick vegetation

There are a lot of weeds in a lot of the lakes and river stretches that I fish in. On the river, I cast some parallel to the banks or current breaks, inlets, etc. or go throw a frog or light-weighted plastic on the pads and muck. 

Fairly often, I'm casting to spots and I am getting the bites and the fish. In these thicker-vegetation areas, I've been getting fish mostly on Texas rig but also chatterbaits (in vegetation yes, to pads or muck, not deep in but still yes). Using these two in these situations seem pretty intuitive to me but a jig, in my mind, might make more sense and open more possibilities. But I just can't quite seem to get any bites on them in these situations. 

I fish from the banks and sometimes the "shallower" water with lots of thicker vegetation on the bottom (almost always, and sometimes emergent), is basically what I have access to or can reach. I'm totally fine with that but my question is, what kind of jig would you try and throw in these situations? 

Depending on water depth, I will fish on top of or in the upper part of the vegetation and other times intend to

try and get it farther down. Would anyone consider trying to cast a heavy jig and if so...I guess this is back to my original question - which type comes back through the best FOR YOU? 

Best grass jig ever produced 😉

097609_original_1024x1024.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Burrows said:

Have you thrown a spinner bait?

That's a great question. I've tried. Other things made more sense and when I didn't have luck, I kind of abandoned it. I also was having trouble envisioning how I could use one in some of these places. Ha, very often my fish are coming in with about 12 lbs of all kinds of vegetation in front if them.

I'm willing to give it another shot...I know millions of people swear by them! The next time I'm out, I'm going to try and remember this post...but like I was saying, a lot of the times I'm throwing these in conditions where the retrieve isn't continuous. 

23 minutes ago, Catt said:

Best grass jig ever produced 😉

097609_original_1024x1024.jpg

What is it? 

• Like 1

I use a swim jig in that situation.......if it's really thick I'll use a screw lock weighted swimbait hook instead of a jig.

42 minutes ago, Fishingintheweeds said:

I should say, who makes it and what is it called?

Terry Oldham's Eye-Max Jig 😉

I'll admit I've been throwing Siebert's Grass Jig...me like!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Burrows said:

Have you thrown a spinner bait?

I should add that this past Friday I was throwing a spinnerbait into fairly thick vegetation with good success.  At first it was frustrating ripping it through and having to pull a bunch of stuck vegetation every few casts until I caught this on a War Eagle Extreme Trokar in 3/8's. 

20LemontB.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Catt said:

I got a hold of some of their chatterbaits and one of the swim jigs. It looks good! The side of me that doesn't have time to fish everything I've already got and can catch plenty of fish with what I already have...still wants to get more of their jigs also. 

3 hours ago, Catt said:

According to their site, the smallest they make this in is 3/4oz? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dens228 said:

I should add that this past Friday I was throwing a spinnerbait into fairly thick vegetation with good success.  At first it was frustrating ripping it through and having to pull a bunch of stuck vegetation every few casts until I caught this on a War Eagle Extreme Trokar in 3/8's. 

20LemontB.jpg

Nice. Looks and sounds very familiar! I actually didn't pick up TOO much with the chatterbait TOO often...but I was able to kind of jig it. The only time I had to start my retrieve as soon as it hit the water was when the vegetation was too thick for the depth. For me, I didn't have to really do very much ripping to free it even to start the retrieve.

But yeah, I assume you had to do something similar with the spinnerbait? Did you let it sink and just rip it out to a continuous retrieve? Was popping it up and letting it sink an option? I have never tried to throw spinnerbaits like that. I must be jaded from some old memories of being a kid, not really understanding how they work and snagging them if I let them sink.

20 minutes ago, NorthernBasser said:

Which one are you looking at? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

I'm fishing heavy vegetation  😉

For smaller sizes look at his Trailer Hitch Jigs, they have has a special 5/0 Gamakatsu Flipping Hook (Black/Chrome) specifically designed and produced for Oldham Jigs.

Hmmmm...ha, ha...I left my truck today and took two frogs and the weight of jigs I was using the other day at another spot on this wide, damned-up creek deal...well, I needed to go over this stuff. This is probably the one stretch I've tried to fish that's like that. Well, since I was casting, not even close to vertical, once I got down in it, that was that. I brought in ALL the plants and probably blew up the spot in the process. I'm sure it would've been quite a process getting the fish over that stuff...but at least I know better than to go there with less than a mh...because the medium sure felt a little iffy a couple of times in the past. 

Note to self, start off lighter if I'm not sure what's out there. Maybe this can save someone else a headache also. 

One of the best spinnerbait set ups for dense grass is a 3/8 head with a SINGLE WILLOW blade. When the bait hits grass snap it through and often times the act of the bait suddenly springing free of the grass will trigger a reaction strike. Color doesn't matter too much, but I would match the blade to the forage as best you can. Again, don't let the bait sink down too far. Just enough to snag some of the grass.  Snap it free and get ready. 

The pic is of a Blade Runner Tora Spin spinnerbait. This bait has a heavy duty .51 musky wire that will not bend out of shape when you snap it free. Also, the  skirt-less design helps it slither thru. You can substitute a paddle tail swim bait but make sure you glue it on. 

I realize you asked for JIG info, but I know this works and well, so I thought I'd share. My $.02.. 

rs.php?path=BDRNTSP-RBT-SSW-1.jpg

• Thanks 1