Chance_Taker4

Help from Okuma Spinning reel people

I have an Okuma SX spinning reel I bought. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to change the reel handle to the other side. Even the instructions confuse me. It is not a traditional swap. Anyone here have experience with this reel or other Okuma reels on how to switch handles?

I know of only 2 types of handles on the spinning reel. The cheaper type that uses a thread through rod and secured by a cap on the other end; and the friction type that you spin on.

When you turn the handle does the cap turn as well on the other side? If not, then you have the spin on type. It is reverse threaded, so you have to spin the handle backward to loosen it.

This is the friction screw on. However the screw on the handle is fatter than the screw on the cap. so when you put in on the other side they don't fit. It looks like I have to disassemble the entire reel and flip the piece in the reel that the handle and cap screw into.

That's pretty odd. I would call Okuma support first before disassembling it.

You can't flip the main gear.  Here's is the parts diagram, should be pretty straight forward.

https://www.okumafishing.com/Templates/att/HSX-20-Parts-list.pdf?lng=en

34 minutes ago, J Francho said:

You can't flip the main gear.  Here's is the parts diagram, should be pretty straight forward.

https://www.okumafishing.com/Templates/att/HSX-20-Parts-list.pdf?lng=en

That's odd because on the box it says it's ambidextrous

That diagram shows that it has a thread through shaft.

I bit the bullet and called Okuma. There is a small, clear hard rubber washer (part 504 on the schematics) that was stuck in the main gear that has to slide out on the cap side. Then put it in the other side to switch the handle. Yes @georgeyew it was a thread through. I was mistaken yesterday until I got home and took it apart.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:19 PM, Chance_Taker4 said:

That's odd because on the box it says it's ambidextrous

Thats for the handle not the main gear its stays the same inside the gearbox..and i see you fixed it good ya them blocks are aggervating sometimes