EasyShiner

G.Loomis NRX 804S XMR 1/4-1 1/2OZ

Hi guys, i was looking for new Walleye/Pikeperch/BigPerch- Rod. So i ordered a 804S.

When it was delivered, I was a little surprised how soft the top or upper third of the rod works. In my opinion, the rod is rather not suitable for jigging. I think it could become a problem to put the hook in the bony mouth. Does anyone have the rod in use and can say something about it?

Maybe someone also has a tip for a rod with hard backbone and hard tip. which also tolerates heavy jig heads. Most liked by G. Loomis

Greetings from Germany

Really nobody?

I'm still looking for a NRX without a strong tip action. I once had a 804C, which I thought was perfect. However, that was a baitcaster. It should give good feedback on 1/4 to 3 / 8OZ jig heads + trailers. I have now picked out the 843S NRX Inshore and find the specifications pretty good, I just scare off the high line rating. Did someone ever hold the rod and can say something about it?

The following rods were already in my possession but had to go because I did not like the action of the top: NRX 803S NRX 804S NRX 852S

Not sure why you didn't like the 852S but that would be my vote in your case. I own this rod and action is awesome.

• Like 1

I do not like the soft tip. When I start the bait, the energy in the top fizzles out. And at a long distance it is difficult to set the hook. Of course, the rod has a strong backbone but I'm looking for a consistently stiff action

Inshore ( salt water) spinning rod designed with a slower tip section to optimize casting live bait and soft plastics. The rod should have enough hook setting power when you add a reel set with firm rod sweep. 

In the states we think of pike and perch as fish between 1 lb perch to 15 lb pike, your fish are a lot bigger. The inshore rods can handle stripe bass and snook, both are hard mouth strong fish and your rod should work out OK.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

My fear is that the rod could be a bit oversized for the fish species I've looked at. Another rod that I could get here with us would be a GLX 843 SJR -5 / 8 oz. Would this also be suitable for jigging or rather for spinnerbait and hardbait?

If the import taxes and transport costs wouldnt be so high I would order a rod from the US but I do not want to pay $ 280 only for that.

19 hours ago, thunderblack said:

Not sure why you didn't like the 852S but that would be my vote in your case. I own this rod and action is awesome.

what is the maximum weight that you can throw well and lead? I fish on slowly flowing waters. I assume you only on still Waters?

Rod is rated for 3/8 oz. but I think it can throw heavier maybe 1/2 oz. I haven't tried it with lead or too many techniques yet since I recently purchased but its powerful and crisp. I fish salt, fresh (still), and rivers often and I feel this rod would do well in all. Only rod I feel that is more powerful would be a MH St. Croix spinner.