Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Greetings all. 2018 was my first year of serious Bass fishing. I have been reading articles and posts on this site for most of the year, first of all, thank you to everyone. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from this site, so much so that I have been able to find answers to all my questions without ever having to ask. 3/4 of the year was spent on the bank, from late August to now, all my time on the water has been in a kayak. Most of the fish I caught this year has been finesse fishing. Drop shot was #1 followed by the Ned rig. I also caught fish on various jigs from 1/16 oz ball heads to skirted 3/8 oz football and cover jigs. Bunch of fish on Texas rigs a couple on a wacky rigged senko, and about 4 or 5 fish on C-rig/ Mojo rig. Oh, and 1 fish on spinner bait. 

 

My current arsenal 

Pflueger President XT spinning reel 5.4 to 1 Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'9" med lt ( crazy sensitive). Obviously my finesse setup. It currently has 20# braid on it but I plan on re-spooling it with either 10# braid or 6-8# florocarbon.

Pflueger President XT spinning reel 5.4 to 1 Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'6" med hvy. (my wife's setup that I am commandeering because "fishing is boring"). I think this will get 20# braid and I will keep a Zoom horny toad on it most of the time. Could I use it for a C rig?

Pflueger Patriarch bait caster 7.9 to 1 Falcon Bu Coo SR 7' med hvy. It currently has 12# mono on it (my first bait caster). I currently use this for everything but the lightest of baits. 

 

For about 3 months now I have been planning on buying a rod and reel for mostly jigs 1/4 to 3/4 oz, fishing weeds and grass, ect. I am in Mass. and fish mostly small ponds and lakes. I do not plan on tackling any huge bodies of water any time soon but do plan on getting some electronics next year. What I have been planning to buy was the Pflueger Supreme XT baitcaster in 6.4 to 1 on a Falcon Bu Coo SR 7' heavy. Here is my question (Finally, holy crap he is long winded).Is my current Falcon med hvy stout enough to be the " heavy cover rod" and I should be buying a 7' med because it will be more useful to me?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I wouldn't get a falcon rod. A much better rod in the same price range (to me atleast) is a dobyns fury 734. It's perfect for jigs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

734 fury or the 7'4 or 7' heavy falcon are great rods for jigs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bass Junke said:

Greetings all. 2018 was my first year of serious Bass fishing. I have been reading articles and posts on this site for most of the year, first of all, thank you to everyone. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from this site, so much so that I have been able to find answers to all my questions without ever having to ask. 3/4 of the year was spent on the bank, from late August to now, all my time on the water has been in a kayak. Most of the fish I caught this year has been finesse fishing. Drop shot was #1 followed by the Ned rig. I also caught fish on various jigs from 1/16 oz ball heads to skirted 3/8 oz football and cover jigs. Bunch of fish on Texas rigs a couple on a wacky rigged senko, and about 4 or 5 fish on C-rig/ Mojo rig. Oh, and 1 fish on spinner bait. 

 

My current arsenal 

Pflueger President XT spinning reel 5.4 to 1 Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'9" med lt ( crazy sensitive). Obviously my finesse setup. It currently has 20# braid on it but I plan on re-spooling it with either 10# braid or 6-8# florocarbon.

Pflueger President XT spinning reel 5.4 to 1 Abu Garcia Vendetta 6'6" med hvy. (my wife's setup that I am commandeering because "fishing is boring"). I think this will get 20# braid and I will keep a Zoom horny toad on it most of the time. Could I use it for a C rig?

Pflueger Patriarch bait caster 7.9 to 1 Falcon Bu Coo SR 7' med hvy. It currently has 12# mono on it (my first bait caster). I currently use this for everything but the lightest of baits. 

 

For about 3 months now I have been planning on buying a rod and reel for mostly jigs 1/4 to 3/4 oz, fishing weeds and grass, ect. I am in Mass. and fish mostly small ponds and lakes. I do not plan on tackling any huge bodies of water any time soon but do plan on getting some electronics next year. What I have been planning to buy was the Pflueger Supreme XT baitcaster in 6.4 to 1 on a Falcon Bu Coo SR 7' heavy. Here is my question (Finally, holy crap he is long winded).Is my current Falcon med hvy stout enough to be the " heavy cover rod" and I should be buying a 7' med because it will be more useful to me?

 

 

 

Not really.  You should see some of mine.  :wall3:

 

I have a few Falcons, but no Bucoos...either the original or SR models.  I'd concur that Falcons fish a bit lighter than rated, but......  I have used a 7' MH Original in lily pads.  No problem.  Tough rod.  Can you horse the fish like the pros on TV do?  Not really.  This year saw me using a 7' MF HMG spinning rod with 30# braid to fish in the lily pads in Florida.  (Had forgotten to bring one of my casting reels with braid spooled.  Mainly because I was trying new-2-me reels.  :teeth:)  Majority of my fish this year were caught on that combo.  And the majority of those in pads.

 

I've been using MH casting rods for the past 8 years when I visit Florida.  We are always fishing along the edges or into pads.  Would a Heavy be better?  Maybe.  A Heavy might be better, but no one could convince me that a MH can't get the job done.  I see on TW that the 7' MH SR has a Moderate Fast action.    Makes for a pretty versatile rod, but not the best for jigs.  Especially ones with thicker hooks.

 

Would I fish a 3/4 oz. jig on a Falcon MHF?  No.  I think you are on the right track with the Heavy if going with another Falcon.  Not that you couldn't find a rod to fish both 1/4 oz. and 3/4 oz. jigs, but personally I would prefer a different rod for each.

 

I like your choice of reel.  As a matter of fact I am going to pick up one for myself when I find a good deal.  Absolutely don't need another reel, but really like what I have read about this reel, and want to try one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

own the KastKing casting Perigee II 2 pc. 7' rod with 2 tips that are med. and med. heavy fast -- you get 2 rods in one.  great deal...it's a winner...an option...

 

61ejM3ZIo+L._AC_SX480_SY360_.jpg

 

 

 

good fishing...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Bucoo 7' MH and use it for treble hook lures.  If the one you have is the Trapcaster, it wouldn't be an ideal pitching rod.

 

 Have handled the heavy version many times.  I think it feels like it would top out at 1/2 oz jig with trailer.  It's definitely on the light side of heavy power.  I personally don't think a heavy power rod is necessary for pitching per say, but more for heavier baits.

 

Trying to find a rod that can handle a 1/4 oz as well as a 3/4 oz may be challenging.  I was in the same boat.  Wound up getting 2 rods.  One for 3/16 -1/2 (rated 1/4-1), and another for 3/8-3/4 oz (rated 3/8-1 1/8).

 

The fury 734 would be good for 1/4-1/2 IMO, but no higher.   

 

Btw, may want to get a faster reel for your jig rod than a 6 speed.  I'm sure someone will chime in with conflicting advice but IMO the faster the better for what you're looking to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or get the 6.4:1 and put it on the MH Bucoo you already have (especially if it works well for treble hook lures as lionheart suggests) and use the 7.9:1 you already have on the new jig rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LionHeart said:

tw, may want to get a faster reel for your jig rod than a 6 speed.  I'm sure someone will chime in with conflicting advice but IMO the faster the better for what you're looking to do

Thanks Lionheart. I figured the lower gear ratio would give me a little more torque to drag em out. There are still Patriarch's out there for 80$ off, I just didn't see the benefit of another reel with such a high gear ratio. The deal on the Patriarch is way better than the deal on the Supreme XT. 80$ off as opposed to 40$ off. With that being said the Falcons do seem rated a little lighter than most other rod brands so buying a heavy Falcon rod should be fine. The rating is 3/8 to an ounce. In my neck of the woods, I don't see myself fishing anything over an ounce for the next year.

 

5 hours ago, DHP said:

r get the 6.4:1 and put it on the MH Bucoo you already have (especially if it works well for treble hook lures as lionheart suggests) and use the 7.9:1 you already have on the new jig rod. 

Thanks DHP. That is the plan. Should have said that in the original post, I was trying to be brief lol.  

 

10 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

like your choice of reel.  As a matter of fact I am going to pick up one for myself when I find a good deal.  Absolutely don't need another reel, but really like what I have read about this reel, and want to try one.

Check out Amazon, you might be glad you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×