Sigfredo Gomez

South Florida Canals bait/lures/rigs help.

hi guys. i usually do saltwater fishing but now im living next to C13 canal in Fort Lauderdale area, also have the c14 and the G15 close by and a bunch of others small canals. What lures/bait and rigs you guys use . I see the fish cruising by (some really big ones) and some gars but these canals i notice they really weedy with bottom roots, so its snag-land. I seen people mostly use shinners but if going to tackle shop is not an option, what should i been throwing there. Bought a minnow trap to maybe catch some bait and maybe start doing some panfishing for cut bait. really need help guys this canals are frustrating me...and the iguanas jumping in the water 20 at the time is not helping lol. thanks.

Are there LM bass in there? Sounds like Texas rigged plastics would be your best option. Not many choices if it is "snag land". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don51 said:

Are there LM bass in there? Sounds like Texas rigged plastics would be your best option. Not many choices if it is "snag land". 

Yeah u could see them but not bite...maybe they wanted something live , tried trigs, some swimbaits and drop shots but kept getting snagged so trigs worked the best throught the weeds

This is an easy one...

In that situation a weightless and weedless rigged bass assassin.  You can run that topwater or have it drop between the weeds.  You can fish it almost any way for lots of different conditions and everything hits it...  You can get alot of missed hookups so make sure the fish has a good hold and a strong hook set.     Get some heavy baitcasting gear and you will slay.

good luck.

Ribbit frogs. Depending on retrieve technique, nothing else I've used attracts more species in So. Flo.

I have to ask though... You "SEE" LMB swimming near the surface in those canals? I never have.

Oh, I'm using the 6' heavy Uglystik (USSP601H) rods with 20 lb black 4 strand braid exclusively now. It has a short handle that doesn't whack my tin boat bench seat or my fishing vest when casting, its 6' length is handy when fishing from the shoreline with lots of brush and low scrubby trees and the rod stiffness is up to the task of any LMB, snakehead or Peacock alive.

Add to that I got my three on Feebay for less than $50 each delivered, they're the best rods I own.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:47 AM, gnappi said:

Ribbit frogs. Depending on retrieve technique, nothing else I've used attracts more species in So. Flo.

I have to ask though... You "SEE" LMB swimming near the surface in those canals? I never have.

Oh, I'm using the 6' heavy Uglystik (USSP601H) rods with 20 lb black 4 strand braid exclusively now. It has a short handle that doesn't whack my tin boat bench seat or my fishing vest when casting, its 6' length is handy when fishing from the shoreline with lots of brush and low scrubby trees and the rod stiffness is up to the task of any LMB, snakehead or Peacock alive.

Add to that I got my three on Feebay for less than $50 each delivered, they're the best rods I own.

thanks for the advise guys. maybe this one specific spot is just a weird one, there is fish but maybe they just want live bait or something else. tried yesterday again with no luck.

I've fished the C-13 between 31st ave and the spillway, and gotten a few largemouths (also fought and lost a peacock.) I've talked with some folks who claimed they've gotten slot snook on the east side of the spillway also, and it wouldn't surprise me.

My catches there were on Texas rigged stick worms and a bass pattern Creme Mad Dad Minnow.

25 minutes ago, Bugeyed Earl said:

I've fished the C-13 between 31st ave and the spillway, and gotten a few largemouths (also fought and lost a peacock.) I've talked with some folks who claimed they've gotten slot snook on the east side of the spillway also, and it wouldn't surprise me.

My catches there were on Texas rigged stick worms and a bass pattern Creme Mad Dad Minnow.

the spillway is the one right behind the firestation where there is a dirt area for parking ? i talked to a guy fishing there once he claim to be fishing it for 20 years and it hold jacks, red fish and snook, personally i never seen them but i did lost a gar. He claims is brackish water and i seen some what looks like mullet. due to i use glasses is hard for me to use polarized sunglasses. get headache quick without my prescription glasses 😕