govallis

Biwaa Ultra Hog

Nobody talks about this French secret weapon. Give it a try, when you cannot catch anything. This thing catches everything from fresh to salt water. I use Texas rig mostly, 1/0 - 2/0 hook, 0-18" above I add a 1/8 - 1/4 oz sinker. It has a scent, similar to PowerBait's. It is quite durable, one can last for months catching numerous fish. It is certainly more universal than Senko etc. If I want, I can leave all my other baits home, take this only with me. 

I'm sorry, if this is indeed your kept secret.

CSC_0479.JPG

• Thanks 2

Caught a dozen yesterday within an hour, temperature was 38F. I bank fishing only. Modified split shot that allows the split shot to slide for better bite detection. I use a split shot because it is easy to add and it is quite weedless. I never like the original split shot though, they hurt line and not secure. So I always make them sliding, a very easy mod, extremely convenient to add and remove.

youdoodle-2018-12-09T08-20-15Z.jpg

• Like 1

Never understood why anglers attach a Texas rigged hook with a clip!

Tom

• Like 4

You meant the snap? I always use a smallest snap.

Then I can switch conveniently to senko, trickworm and this ultra hog... without having to remove the bait off the hook or retie. I always pre-rig my soft baits with the best hook size, 4/0 for senko and trickworm, 2/0 for the ultra hog. Without mounting and removing the hook each and every time, these baits last much longer. I also always use a screw pin to make them even more durable. For example, the ultra hog you see in above photo, is still like new after catching all the fish. My soft baits last forever until snagged.

You won't believe how many fish have been caught and will be caught with the baits in the following photo and how convenient it is to switch between them. Yesterday, for example, the LM stopped biting the ultra hog after the first 5 landed. I switched to the wacky senko and caught another 2. Then the Texas senko caught 3. Finally I switched back to the ultra hog and got the last 3. Yes, this small Plano 3500 holds all my tackle, it is my only tackle box.

DSC_0507.jpg

• Like 2

You do realize leaving hooks in salt impregnated soft plastic corrodes the metal, including nickel plated hooks.

No I met clip. Leaving a snap or clip tied on without retying several times during the day weakens the knot and false sense the 3' of line above the lure isn't damaged.

I will say your methods are unique!

Tom

• Like 1

My hooks are all bought from Wlamrt, cheap Eagle Claw, I leave them in the salty baits for months and they do not rust. I also modify them, so the worm hooks hold the screw pin well and the snail hooks become straight for the snap for better hookset. I even add weedless to the snailed hooks.

I never use a clip, there is no clip in that photo or anywhere.

I always use FG Chain knot only, it never lose up like other knots. Never needed retie. See my other post for details.

DSC_0508.jpg

• Like 1

Govalis, you and I rig softbaits exactly the same way....right down to the screw lock. And you are correct, the baits last at least 10x as long as the traditional rigging method.

Duo lock clip to me is a snap to you, same thing.

So there 2 of you who use clips or snaps direct to worm hooks, amazing!

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRB said:

So there 2 of you who use clips or snaps direct to worm hooks, amazing!

There is 3 Tom. A buddy of mine does the same thing, but he changes lures every 10-20 casts if he hasn't had a bite in that span of casts.

Duo lock clips wire ends snag vegetation unless covered by the soft plastic, other then the bright SST and snagging and the clip opening up.....why not add da swivel?

Tom

Tom, I used to use something similar to the Pline Duramax. It is weedless, but too expensive and not so convenient.

Duo-lock itself does not grab weeds that much, the knot does if its tag faces up. All knot tags must face down. This is why I never use Palomar, its tag faces up for most applications.

youdoodle-2018-12-09T18-26-25Z.jpg

Looks like an expensive baby brush hog? 

2 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Looks like an expensive baby brush hog? 

Cheaper than Senko and MUCH more durable. I honestly don't know why, it doesn't look so different than other hogs such as those from Strike King and Berkley, but this thing simply catches fish while other hogs seldom do. My Plano 3500 no longer have a room for other hogs.

Hmm, a baby brush hog catches a ton of fish for me each year. Unless you're fishing it weightless and it is maybe more dense and getting a different fall rate? 

The 4" version is almost exactly the same price per bait as a pack of 5" senkos on TW, $.75 a bait. 

I have bought some and they are alright I think I flipped em once and took it off and went to a D Bomb. I see no purpose in having baits pre-rigged Because I have way too many baits to do that It would end up a huge mess. The snap just is another weak link and I retie a good amount anyways cause I'm normally fishing for money. That's what I take out of all this.

15 minutes ago, Brock_v said:

I have bought some and they are alright I think I flipped em once and took it off and went to a D Bomb. I see no purpose in having baits pre-rigged Because I have way too many baits to do that It would end up a huge mess. The snap just is another weak link and I retie a good amount anyways cause I'm normally fishing for money. That's what I take out of all this.

I used to change baits quite often........then I realized I didn't need to get better at picking the right lure, I needed to get better at covering the water column and finding the bass. Once I had that epiphany my lure changes dropped considerably.  I bring 5 or 6 rods in my kayak.  I pre-rig them all before I hit the water with what I think I'll need. Other than replacing damaged plastics or lures I bet I change out maybe one or two lures per day.......usually to change color rather than lure. 

1 hour ago, Dens228 said:

I used to change baits quite often........then I realized I didn't need to get better at picking the right lure, I needed to get better at covering the water column and finding the bass. Once I had that epiphany my lure changes dropped considerably.  I bring 5 or 6 rods in my kayak.  I pre-rig them all before I hit the water with what I think I'll need. Other than replacing damaged plastics or lures I bet I change out maybe one or two lures per day.......usually to change color rather than lure. 

I agree with you In the fact of prerigging rods, I have a rod locker full of rigged rods I just don't think leaves plastics rigged in boxes. I don't  find  that useful and time efficient 

6 hours ago, Brock_v said:

I agree with you In the fact of prerigging rods, I have a rod locker full of rigged rods I just don't think leaves plastics rigged in boxes. I don't  find  that useful and time efficient 

I don't do that either.  All my rods are unarmed until I start to fish.  And I don't keep plastics on the hooks in a box either.